Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    I much prefer development to design and design isn't exactly my strong suit. This however is my attempt at making a new homepage. For the past few months clients have come to me via word of mouth. I am starting to have a lull in projects so i think its time i create web presence for myself.

In this layout i created my paragraphs first, i then played around with size, placement and formatting, next i started to fill in the background. Finally i added a portfolio image and it was done. This is the first time i have tried to design a site this way.

What do people think of this design. Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions to improve it?

http://www.jasonstanley.co.uk/misc/layout.jpg

Member #
    1) dont use the same font for the whole page
    2) whats with the diagonal image?!

Member #
    The diagonal image is supposed to be like a Polaroid picture. Perhaps i need to work on that a bit more.

Member #
    i sort of see where you're coming from with that idea, its been pretty popular lately, maybe if you had it like a pile of images, but you can only see the top on. sorta like this
    that could look cool.

Member #
    I finally had 10 minutes and i have modified the design with then things you mentioned.

I changed the font for titles, added a small outer glow on the top header and i stacked the Polaroid so its now like a pile of photo's.

I would greatly appreciate some more comments from err anyone, what do you think, what can i improve.

Version2.
    http://www.jasonstanley.co.uk/misc/layout2.jpg

Member #
    Nice, aside from the instant "espresso" feeling.

A few minor things...
    1. The glow might be a bit overkill. But not that disturbing.
    2. Your links seem to be brighter than your titles. Why don't you switch the colors?
    3. The navigation might be better of in its own color band. It might be a bit hard to recognize as navigation right now.
    4. You don't need to underline your main paragraph. It's already in its own paragraph, and long underlines are unusual (and inappropriate when underlines mean links).

Otherwise, good job. You have plenty of space to put additional photos, links, etc...
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    Thanks for the input. As i defined the navigation I realised that my site remarkably resembled Fat Bastards poo that Austin mistakes for coffee in "Austin Powers The Spy who shagged me" film.

This is not the image i am going for lol. I have since changed the colors a bit, i am thinking about a gentle gradient or something else to break up the blocks of color. I am trying to get it done by tonight so i will just upload over layout4 and ask for input when i think I'm about done.

http://www.jasonstanley.co.uk/misc/layout3.jpg (the brown one)
    http://www.jasonstanley.co.uk/misc/layout4.jpg (changed colors)

Member #
    i definately prefer the different coloured one,

suddenly i'm not sure if arial rounded bold is a sensible choice for the page title and tagline, why dont you try century gothic (minus the border) to give your website a chic feel to it?

Member #
    oh, and using 'why choose us?' in your freelance online portfolio seems to be something of a contradiction

Member #
    i don't think have multible fonts is the best idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by solidgold
    1) dont use the same font for the whole page
    try to have a consistant and flow look is the best thing:classic:

i like the pic on the right. navigation could do with a bit of ... well something. can't think of what to suggest but i'll have a think and post again.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads