Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Hi, folks. Ok, I've finally plucked up courage having lurked and been inspired by your words/advice. I'm going to create a website for a friend who runs a gym. Basically, I want a black background and one main image in the centre, with three clickable points. What I was hoping someone may be able to help me with is how big should the image be? I'm doing it in photoshop and then will figure out how to get it into HTML, but the dummy is in photoshop.
    Where do I go to from here and how do I know that it is the right size? I created it at 300 dpi and the entire image is 764 X 615 pixels. Is that too big/small? I figure if it's too big, I can always resize, but if I want to make it clickable and then make it a site that doesn't take a million years to load, what do I do next?
    Thank you, guys...I love this forum!!!
    XXX
    GS

Member #
    Liked
    720 times
    If you could create a mock website that we could actually see ...
    that would be most helpful.

You'll discover that people with large monitors will like the size,
    but smaller monitors won't... also, the number of dial-up users
    is getting smaller, that would affect the download time of a
    large image.

let us see it...

Member #
    mlseim. I'm too embarrassed, it's my first one...

Member #
    Ok, but pls don't laugh. I'm still deep etching images, it's only rough. My very first thing is to figure out how to go from photoshop to a real website.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    It isn't bad. I would pay to have the istock watermark removed if they want to go with that design, though.
    Portfolio | Blog | Twitter

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

Member #
    Liked
    720 times
    OK ...

This might get you started.

You'll have several images.

1) The large image with the blue background and girl will all be one image
    as a background.

2) The three "links" will each be a unique image (all the same size).
    Those will be positioned over the background using CSS and you could do
    a mouseover thing (javascript) if you wish as an embellishment.

3) You could have another image (like a banner) with your site name and logo
    positioned above the large blue background image.

If you wanted to, you could make the girl it's own image and make the blue
    background a <div> color (not an image) ... that way, when you mouse-over
    the girl, she could extend her arm (as the mouse-over image).

Make images .gif with a transparent background for placement over a background
    image.

Those ideas might point you someplace, although it's not the only solution ...
    others probably have ideas too.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I think the size is okay as far as dimensions go, but 300 dpi is more like, for print stuff. You should always stick with 72 dpi for web.
    choosy developers choose gif!
    website | paintings | blog

Member #
    Chris, Mlseim and Raspberryh, you're so wonderful, thank you! I was horridly embarrassed!!! I know it's simple and don't worry, Chris, I'll buy the image, but I want my friend to see the site before I buy it. She may want a muscly guy or something else there.
    Ok, I'm going to incorproate all your advice, and see how it goes, particularly yours msleim.. Is it ok if I repost what I've done when I'm done? Also, I know it looks pretty average, do you have any advice about layout?
    Does it look crappy to your independent eyes? I know it's hardly Van Gogh, but my brain hurts and though I'm new at this, I'm not blind and can see it's prett average. That said, I'll be back in the evening (am in Australia, so your morning) with what I've done... thank you again. What lovely people you are.

Member #
    Liked
    720 times
    Greenstar,

You're going to discover an interesting psychological phenomenon when it
    comes to web design: No matter what you design or layout, it will always not
    look good to yourself, but others will like it. I can't explain it, but I think it has
    to do with your knowledge of how it was done and the time you spent staring
    at it. You will never be satisfied with your design.

Make sure you do upload everything into a website online, even if it's temporary,
    and give us the link. We need to see everything in action to help the best.

Member #
    I think it looks wonderful, and I like the contrast (it's not so powerful as to overwhelm, but strong enough to draw your eyes). I'm just wondering how you'd display content. While the number of low-resolution monitors are going down (quite fast, so nowadays fixed layouts for 1024 is acceptable - just remember your audience), larger resolutions are also common, like widescreen laptops. The answer depends on how you plan to include longer content, downwards?

Muscular men, although would be fine, wouldn't be suitable as a large image because timid people might be discouraged and it may seem aimed too far to women.

Ok now some input for the layout. Firstly you'll need to learn about CSS for this, because you'll need absolutely positioned buttons for your links and your model. The rest is just a long downwards area, so that isn't hard. We'll happily give assistance for this. Your images should be gifs or PNGs (PNG would be better, but you'll need to learn a hack for Internet Explorer which is so annoying) for the model and the rest of them are gradients that CSS will tile. Therefor a sophisticated export from Photoshop isn't required.

As for the DPI - yes, make sure you set your images for 72 DPI, which is the standard for computer monitors. 300-600 DPI is the resolution used by printers for photos (which is why web images look bad in print).

-

Yes, you will never be satisfied with your design - no matter how many people say its cool and it gets shown as one of the world's best sites, you will never be totally happy with it. We should be grateful for this, really, as otherwise we'd never develop past our comfort zone. However, it's important to be satisfied for what we make so far, because if we keep redesigning we'll never move on. I've experienced this a lot - make a design, think it's bad, make a new one, still bad, etc... although each only looks slightly better than the last, my friends like them all but I can't settle on one. In the end, I might never get to the programming or content... So make sure you settle with a design people think is good.
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads