Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I'm looking to switch gears from IT systems support and administration to web design and interactive media, and am writing to seek advice on the best way to get going. In particular, I'm wondering how to get a portfolio started with minimal experience (I've dabbled a little bith with HTML, CF, and ASP years ago), and ultimately whether any sort of formal graduate study (i.e. an MBA) is necessary or useful -- especially after having established a goal of running an interactive media boutique in the future.

Member #
    you dont need qualifications to start with, you should just get the basics down, prior to starting any formal qualification.
    you should get to grips with things such as CSS and XHTML, as well as getting to grips with the concepts of design theory.
    if you're looking to get a job within a web design firm you will need some qualifications in the topic, but im not sure which.

Member #
    In the web development as I've seen it, how educated we are shows less then 10% of how well we are. There are plenty of young web developers (I'm a highschool student, for example) and it's hard to judge a web developer from his/her age. So I suggest you do some deep thinking and make some sample sites.

Don't be afraid to plunge straight into web design and try as much as you want - the web is ultimately forgiving. Theories and concepts are important but never ever stop trying new ideas or inspiratios.
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Remove Ads