Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    I have Photoshop CS2, Illustrator, GoLive, and Dreamweaver 8. Is it better to create buttons and interfaces in Fireworks than in Photoshop. Photoshop seems more cumbersome to create such graphics. So, my question is 1.) Fireworks v. Photoshop and 2.) is GoLive better to use than Dreamweaver. Once again, thank you in advance and all help is greatly appreciated.

Member #
    For some reason I use fireworks over photoshop, because I don't put beauty as #1 on the web. Raster-like graphics (I mean ones with a lot of colors and patters) are usually big and I'm not sure if their aesthetic boost is worth it. Nowadays, desides, vector-like graphics (including glossy effects, glows, etc) are more common and are often smaller.

I personally go with Dreamweaver, but just because it helps me at times. I could just use notepad (or other programs like it) if I wanted to. Just to say that "your WYSIWYG editor isn't the difference between a good and bad site" (actually, a lot of bad-looking and badly-preforming sites are made in these kinds of editors, because they often scream "lack of willing to study real HTML" and "I use special scripts from my editor!!").
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    There is no best combo. You could make perfectly good graphics in paint shop pro. Just pick the program you like the most then use it. The more you use it the better you will get.

As far as features go photoshop/dreamweaver is a good combo. both offer more features than many designers require and thus can be used on any project.

Member #
    I think that if you're already good on something, don't change. Never switch to something else just because a lot of people are using it. If you've mastered something, use it. There's no reason to start over on a new software if you can use an existing one.
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    ^ Exactly! Stick with what you know! You can create designs in PS, FW or Illustrator. You can create a site in Notepad or DW.

It's "how" you do it that's important. Don't use the WYSIWYG interfaces of DW, use the "code view". Don't let PS slice your site, slice it yourself, etc....
    [a web design portfolio - Currently NOT AVAILABLE for work | web design | Re-coding | PSD-to-HTML]
    I'm also on: virb - facebook - twitter - flickr - del.icio.us

Member #
    Thanks everyone. I'm still going to buy Fireworks because I also need Flash for some simple animations and I get a better price on the bundle. I'm still trying to master HTML so I will probably need Dreamweaver for a bit longer. Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply!

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    There's nothing wrong with using DW to create your pages. I use it all the time because of the nice extensions it has. Just stick to the code view, stay away from design and preview
    [a web design portfolio - Currently NOT AVAILABLE for work | web design | Re-coding | PSD-to-HTML]
    I'm also on: virb - facebook - twitter - flickr - del.icio.us

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    On the slightly cheaper, in fact free, front, I would highly recommend Notepad++ and the html verifying add on tools for Firefox as tools that I have found invaluable while attempting to lean to code from scratch.

Member #
    Like others said there is no best software "combo" its dont to personal preference, I think Photoshop CS2 is much more powerful but ive been using fireworks longer and its what I know so ive stuck to it
    Regards Phil,

Member #
    Personally i prefer fireworks just because thats what i have learnt to use and find it easier but as most people have said its down to personal preference. Dreamweaver is great as long as you dont just use design view and know how html well otherwise you can end up with alot of useless junk code. Just have a play around and see what you prefer.
    Kye
    ~KY3~

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads