Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Question: throughout my college career I have said that I wanted to be a web designer. In the last several years the job descriptions have been narrowed down a little bit, but they are still not standardized from company to company. In the meantime, I've come to the realization that I'm not very good at visualizing something creative, and I hate to code. I like to take other people's creations/ideas and put them together in HTML or Flash. Would you call that a web builder? Are there many jobs out there that would call for this kind of 'building'?

Member #
    Liked
    39 times
    coding is a huge part of web design (at the professional level). I think if you want to make a website for a companies, you are expected to make everything hand coded, all from scratch. You might be able to get away with some stuff like using phpbb instead of making forums from scatch.

It is allow to take some ideas from other websites, but dont copy and paste code. You will get in alot of trouble. Only code you are allow to copy and paste are "open-source" code.

Member #
    well there are two basic jobs in this world... web designer and web developer

designer will 'design' the the look layout colors and typography fo the site (roughly anyway) and the developer will code what the designer has come up with (layout colors, blah blah) along with the brief from the client describing the funtionality (booking system, etc).

i would consider myself a developer 1st and foremost but I have had to study up on typography, color design and layout as I do freelance work and crtainly cannot afford to pay a designer to work for me.

this is a very very rough description and can probably be corrected by others but will give you a basic idea

Member #
    Just remember your strengths and you can build up on what you're not good at yet, and always keep in mind that you have friends, buddies, workmates and fellow developers (like everyone here) to help you out. The Web is a very unforgiving place - people come and go faster that a fifty cent piece falling from the Empire State Building (about 6 seconds). But the Web is also a flexible and adaptable medium, we can always make changes or contribute - make use of this. Just keep up to date and never stop learning - that is very important. Stop working on the web for just a few months and you're bound to be behind on news about a few things.

There's actually a lot of aspects of web development... web designers usually make layouts, web programmers create, well, programs, and web developers often get the bite after the site has been released, often just to improve. But there are many other aspects of designing for the web people overlook - accessibility, information architecture, user interfaces, user psychology... a bunch. Often the very best web designers aren't just good in the basic 3, but also learn these side-aspects... keep that in mind.
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    A side note about open source code: even this, typically, cannot just be `copied and pasted'. Instead, it may require that you give appropriate attribution, etc.

Member #
    It sounds like you'd want to work in a fairly large team where different people do different tasks. Many smaller companies have a person or two, and everybody designs and everybody codes.
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Member #
    ...there are many other aspects of designing for the web people overlook - accessibility, information architecture, user interfaces, user psychology... a bunch.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

After looking around I found a description of 'production artist' that seems to be close to what I want. Is that the same as 'information architecture'?

Member #
    No!

Information architecture is about the organizational structure of content. Flow charts! These go into this category which go under that category etc. How deep stuff is, how it's searched, etc. When you talk about information architecture, you're mainly talking about navigation levels, and databases tables (if you have a large site). There is very limited design, layout and code production involved.

In fact, the code and layout should be built around the information architecture in order to promote it!
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Member #
    IA is actually one of the most critical (and overlooked) aspects of web design. Lengthy menus, confusing mazes of content, odd placement... they're all a result of poor Information Architecture....
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Remove Ads