Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #
    does anybody know of anything similar to dreamweaver (preferably with a nice design view too!) but free and downloadable online?
    this would be a great help to me,
    Solidgold

Member #
    I have never heard of one, though, I would love to have something similar to DW but tons smaller.
    Portfolio | Blog | Twitter

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

Member #
    this may be of some help?

bunch of thangs there

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I tend to recommend Notepad++, or perhaps jEdit. These are two good, solid editors, though they do not have a WYSIWYG view (but you know what I think of that :-)).

Member #
    Someone recently introduced me to Eclipse, which is open source. It is better suited for php projects, but handles HTML of course. It has project management, color-coded text and code folding. But, there's no "layout" view.
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    I've switched to Eclipse for PHP projects as well (it's technically called "PHP IDE", but it's Eclipse with some PHP and web plugins integrated into it). Eclipse is normally used for Java development, and it kicks *** at that.

In the past, I've used Zend Studio, Maguma something, Notepad, Dreamweaver (everything from MX to CS3, which I use now for other things occasionally), and a bunch of other little editors. So far, I'm the happiest with Eclipse, although it's better suited towards writing large projects than just a file now and then--for which I'd use Dreamweaver instead.

Zend Studio is a piece of crap, which is sad given Zend made PHP, and especially sad given how expensive it is whereas Eclipse is free.

For Linux, I sometimes use gedit when I need to make quick changes. Normally the scenario is I need to update a script with a couple of lines of code or edit an Apache configuration file, so I use SSH and X11 forwarding (http://xming.sourceforge.net/ : great program) for such things on Windows.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    And it's a heavy-*** Java app. Pardon my language.

While it runs well on my computer, it's because I've got 1.5 gigs of RAM. If you've got somewhere in the vicinity of <768, you're pretty much faced with slowness.

There are other editors that are better and much lighter weight for HTML :-) (In fact, my personal fave, ViM, is lighter and more or less better for everything except Java, which Eclipse absolutely excels at, though Intellij IDEA is better.)

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    It's using 146 MB of RAM right now. I don't find it especially slow, but yes, it's a hell of a lot more resource-intensive than most other editors.

Somebody at work is trying to turn me onto Nusphere, which he really likes but isn't free (not a problem if I like it because we can then convince the company to buy it).

I actually used to use IntelliJ IDEA for Java, but a few years ago, somebody at work turned me onto Eclipse--seeing a trend of how people influence me in my choice of IDEs? IDEA at last check was certainly a very good, but not free, editor for Java.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Yeah, definitely not free, which is the sole disadvantage. It's leaps and bounds ahead of Eclipse in some areas. One good example was how when I created a new Pattern object and passed a string regular expression into its constructor, it verified the regexp. I was seriously impressed.

Definitely not free, though, and also very heavy on the resources.

As for Linux... Well, ViM runs everywhere, pretty much, so I'm set :-) Also, when using X11, consider (if you can, of course) using NoMachine's NX. It allows ultra-fast X11 sessions. Basically, I can use my home computer as if it was on the same desktop as me from the College of Computing, over a cable upload link (40 KBps max). Apparently it also performs relatively well over dial-up, which is unbelievably fast for X11, since it's a *really* slow protocol that sends metric tons of uselessly repetitive information most of the time.

Anyway, ViM. all the way. I can move around in ViM about ten times faster than any graphical editor now that I've got it down, and the Rails plugin for it makes moving around even faster than that. I've already gotten to the point where I find myself in Eclipse when coding Java and typing jjjjjj to move down :-D

Member #
    what ever happened to notepad, thats what I use when theres nothin else available
    Regards Phil,

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads