Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #
    I've noticed recently that there are a number of talented yound web designers, both here and on other forums i visit, and i was thinking of forming a website to offer information in regards to the web design world, guest publications and (of course) a forum, would any of you join? do you feel it would be a useful resource for teenage web designers?

*edit* Older designers are welcome to deliver their views as to whether or not this is a logical idea! *edit*

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    So what would be the difference then?

I know that some of the young coders (on here and other forums I visit as well) feel the need to say how young they are and things like that. I'm not sure why? I mean ... who cares really. Everyone knows that 5 year old know more about computers than when I was 5 simply for the fact that computers are everywhere ... I mean ... you won't hear too many people say that they "don't" have a computer at home.

Anyways ... sorry for my ranting and if I've offended any of you young designer well I'm sorry but ... grow up!
    [a web design portfolio - Currently NOT AVAILABLE for work | web design | Re-coding | PSD-to-HTML]
    I'm also on: virb - facebook - twitter - flickr - del.icio.us

Member #
    i understand what you're saying entirely! young people (including myself!) do use their age as an excuse for things, i ment it as a way of advising people how to enter the world of web design, any questions they need answering can be answered and advice given, in a slightly more relaxed way than here.
    I do find your tone a little offensive, although often you are a voice of wisdom on these forums, many young and inexperienced people may be put off by that and the often condesending way young people are dealt with on these (and other) forums, and i hope that by producing a forum and general website that is for young people exclusively, to eliminate this attitude entirely.

So what would be the difference then?
    the difference between what?

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Quote Originally Posted by solidgold
    i understand what you're saying entirely! young people (including myself!) do use their age as an excuse for things, i ment it as a way of advising people how to enter the world of web design, any questions they need answering can be answered and advice given, in a slightly more relaxed way than here.
    The thing is ... it's not only young people that get into web design. Some are older, retired and looking for a new hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by solidgold
    I do find your tone a little offensive, although often you are a voice of wisdom on these forums, many young and inexperienced people may be put off by that and the often condesending way young people are dealt with on these (and other) forums, and i hope that by producing a forum and general website that is for young people exclusively, to eliminate this attitude entirely.
    Sorry if I was offensive ... really I am but I think people (us older people ) on this forum are usually pretty nice to younger designers ... even when they flash their age as an excuse to make them look good.
    [a web design portfolio - Currently NOT AVAILABLE for work | web design | Re-coding | PSD-to-HTML]
    I'm also on: virb - facebook - twitter - flickr - del.icio.us

Member #
    hmm ok, so basically you think that i shouldnt go through with this idea?
    I agree with you in regards to this forum (obviously, or else i wouldnt stick around!) but on other forums (webdevforumz was the worst for this i think) i felt i had to keep quiet about my age for fear of being ignored and not taken seriously, i'd like to make somewhere in which people can escape this feeling

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I mean, it seems to me that this is a pretty good place to escape that feeling. Most people here won't judge you based on age -- we just judge you based on your ability with web development and design. I, personally, just ignore it when people go around saying they're 10 or 50 or 35. Part of the appeal of the web is that it eliminates this problem. It doesn't matter.

Now, granted, younger people tend to have certain mannerisms and attitudes that shine through and may annoy others, but I see very little of that here.

Finally, these forums feature a very nice mix of people from all over the age range, which tends to be helpful. All we require is decent grammatical ability and we'll generally be pretty courteous. So I guess I'd say I don't think your idea is necessary, just because it's mostly in place right here :-)

Yeah, sure, some of us can be offensive at times, but learning to deal with that is sort of part of growing up, as offense is something people run into fairly often in the real world :-P

Member #
    ok, i get the point about wdf being good, and dont really want to continue on this train of thought.
    Do you feel that making the ypwda (haha yes, its already got an acronym) would be worth while?

Member #
    Liked
    720 times
    I think with any forum you create for old or young people,
    you're going to have some "offensive posts" going on.

In most cases, it's not meant to be ... but typing words on
    here and speaking to you in person are two very different things.

It's hard to express emotion on here.

Go ahead and create a forum for young people... but you'll
    never really know how old they are. So, it won't be much
    different than this forum.

Member #
    hmm i guess you're right about not knowing...

Member #
    I personally declare my age to say that I'm not a professional yet. People sometimes pull quotes out of forums like these (I've seen several examples of these), so I feel the need for people to know that I am not a full-time working man yet. I've done this after a client pulled off a few quotes from a local site, of which I discovered were the words of 15 and 18 year olds. Thus I include my age in my signature, just to remind of this.

I don't think of myself to be any better or worse than any of us - for all I know, age matters less than experience.

And creating a forum for a very specific group seems very un-web-ish... seriously. The web is all about being for everyone and not alienating anyone...
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads