Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Confused!

Member #
    Hey guys, I have been looking through the site for a while now and I realise that a lot of members here are very experienced in web design/ development. I am not, I am just starting out, I have one problem where to start, I am fortunate enough to have programs such as, Dreamweaver mx, Flash mx, photoshop cs and a couple of others, it is just using them that is the problem, and chosing which one to use, I have heard that you can create a website using purely photoshop, but I don't understand how that quite works, I have been told be some people to use dreamweaver, but not to by other people because it apparently is a different html code if you wern't codeing it from scratch.

My goal is in several months down the line I want to have created a website myself codeing it from scratch. To do this I am aware I will have to know some languages, but which is the best to learn I a fairly fimilar with HTML and know a little php, but very basic, so should I stick at html and php, or will I need to know anything else?

Also when codeing your website, do a lot of you use notepad then simply just preview the code on a local host, or which way do you do it when practising and changing your code?

My final question is, how long does it take to become a decent "web designer" I am going to go to university and study computer science with any luck as I want to pursue this as a career, but just one to be one step ahead before I go to univeristy.

Sorry for sounding so vague, I am new to most of this
    Thanks, Adam.

Member #
    Liked
    39 times
    One thing you have to learn for professional web designing is CSS. Never use table as a template, you use CSS for layouts. If you are going to use Dreamweaver, use the split code/design view. It could be a very useful tool if you use it right.

It doesn't take too long to learn how to make good websites. I learn everything I have to know in about a week, and took me about a month or two before I made good websites. If you are going to use php, javascript, or RoR. Then thats going to take you a while. Maybe more then a year, depending on how deep you want to go.

good luck :classic:

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Realize that you won't learn every trick in the book fast. You'll learn the initial things fairly quickly, and then you'll start running into problems and limitations. That's when you hit Google, find solutions, and learn something knew. Repeat this process for several years, and you get a vast store of knowledge that lets you achieve many different effects rather quickly. But it won't happen overnight :-)

Member #
    About the photoshop bit - no, photoshop just does a slicing-and-tabling technique, which is hell for all sorts of conditions. So basically full-photoshop sites don't work.

Yeah you need CSS soon, and probably before PHP. I have to say that if you want to really learn, drop everything, open up a text editor, and code HTML + CSS there, with no images. Not the most beautiful, but nothing gets between you and your product.
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    Thanks guys, well I said I would attempt to set up a basic website for a friend, I think I will just use html, and try and incorporate a bit of css within it, as I have no deadline so a couple of weeks of learning hopefully I can create something basic.

Another question I have, is say I have my html code finsihed in dreamweaver, and want to style it and imporve it with css, how is css implmented within html?

Thanks.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    It's not implemented within HTML, it's implemented next to it. Basically, a CSS stylesheet applies certain styles to certain HTML elements, which you specify using something we call a selector -- basically a specification of what group of elements you want your styles to apply to.

Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    HTML describes the content and structure of a page. CSS defines how to render it.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    In other words, there's no such thing as finishing something in HTML and CSSing it. The two must work together. The expected CSS-layouted site looks like a word document without its CSS (which is an important aspect of CSS).

Usually you will want both of them open together.
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Remove Ads