Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I have made my first website (paid to do so) through Frontpage. It was designed to be created, uploaded and left... Not touched except for the odd change a few times each year... Now I'm being payed AGAIN to make a new site for something completely different, but it will have to be made changeable.. More like once or twice a WEEK.
    I am 15, but have a good understanding of how to work Frontpage (and Claris homepage... but that's not a popular one so....). I am wondering if there is any method of creating this page that any of oyu would recomend? A way of uploading the page or SOMETIHNG along those lines that would speed up the process of making changes to the website, creating it--- anything that would make my job easier, especially since I will be maintaining it quite often....

Thanks in advance for your help!

Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    What you're asking for is a content management system, or CMS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Content_management_system). There are literally hundreds or thousands available. My company uses a proprietary (internally-developed) one called 24Watch(r). There are many free ones available as well, but in general, they all require some sort of server-side language like PHP, ASP.NET, etc.

What does your host (or your client's host) support?
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    HA... The host? I forget which one I used... IT was EXTREMELY cheap, but offered LOTS of space for a basic level... Based in the US. I have NO knowledge of server languages, doubt I could learn it, and am looking for a VERY inexpensive method... Based on this, I can see that it is not going to help me MUCH, but if it helps me a LITTLE, Ill accept it.

Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    The benefit of a proper CMS is that you don't need to know a lot of coding other than your normal required skills with XHTML and CSS, both of which are client-side.

Do you host your clients' sites, or do you just provide them with the files and have them host it themselves? At my job, we do the former, including running several dedicated managed servers, but I understand that isn't necessarily a universal practice.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    I have a hosting site do it. I don't know how to host it myself (if I could, farely easily, with the computers I have, I would). I just design this guys website. I am not really a company. As I said, I am 15 with a lot of experience with frontpage, and a fair bit of experience editing HTML. Thats it....

Remove Ads