Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hello,

I was just curious to know if any of you are professional web designers, and if you are, how do you enjoy your profession in regards to pay, hours, and overall work/stress levels. Currently, i'm an architecture student, but i'm in the process of switching degrees to the Digital Arts and looking into careers in web design. I enjoy architecture, but i have no motivation to move forward with it, mainly because of the amount and time spent for earning a degree (5 years for a bachelor (i'm 3 years in currently), 2 years of grad school, a lengthy, 3 year MINIMUM (4-5 year average) internship, and then a $1000+ registration exam for professsional licensure - and after all that, the pay ranges from the $35K (intern/bachelor) - $65K(masters+licensure+LOTS of experience). Doesn't make a lot of sense to say in a field that requires as much schooling as a doctor/lawyer with the payout of a teacher. Web design is still such a new career, and i see it as a more dynamic field. There's layout, flash, logo design, e-commerse, and then coding/programming. Ultimately - i see something that has the possibility, more opportunity and more money. But ultimately, before i switch, I'd just like to know what others think.

Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    Less money, school, etc. is required for it, and the pay can be higher. It can be fairly stressful, depending on your position and the company. A small company where you report directly to numerous clients can be stressful. A huge company where you do things like create or maintain internal sites is far less stressful.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    I think web development is great, even if you dont have graphical skills, you can still make it as a web developer for your skills, like javascripting, php, mysql, asp etc.
    and as far as graphics go you probably dont even need them that much. If you dont think you can do well in that area, you can become a teacher, I think it is easy to teach webdesign, I am 16 and i go to school to learn webdesign, and in my course im am more advanced then my teachers, and they dont like it either. But yeah its a great area to get into.

I have just recently been offered a job in webdesign which im really excited about, my mum kept erging me to get a job in a super market , because im younge(16) I wouldnt get too many jobs doing something I like, but today I got a call, and bang he offered me a job, and Im happy!

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    I think that with any job, if you truly enjoy it then you won't mind a certain degree of stress.

Member #
    I get pretty stressed at times because the workload can get hefty, but I absolutely love what I do. I started out as a pre-pharmacy major but switched to graphic design because I want to be happy while I'm working. Pre-pharmacy certainly earns a ton of money, but I think it's sooo boring! My best advice is to do what you love.
    Christina Van Dyke

CRV Designs
    Apex, NC
    www.crv-designs.com

Remove Ads