Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Hello - I have targeted a lovely guitar shop in my area to offer to do a site for my portfolio. I think I can do him a good site with care and attention to detail and a bit of passion, as I am a guitarist.
    He was concerned about content and wants a database, well php and SQL spring to mind and I think I can wrap my head around that.
    I don't think he requires online transactions for now, he just wants his shop with details online.

So I am concerned about security in the database - I think he will only have pictures and info and prices though - so need I not be concerned?

I want to be sure before I commit to it. I don't like saying I can do something when I'm not at least reasonably sure I can do it.

Any comments? Or does it not matter so long as they have "benign" content? The security, that is.

Another question -
    I've done a couple of smaller sites for friends and family.I didn't charge them obviously, but should you charge a nominal fee say per hour for portfolio work for strangers? If you think that site may take a considerable number of hours to construct?

Thanks.

Member #
    Usually you want to have a base cost, an annual hosting cost, and an hourly construction rate. I'm not a pro yet though, so don't take my word on it.

Databases belong on the server... most likely nobody will try breaking into your DB unless there's something sensitive there. Sensitive being much more than photos, text and prices (think credit card).

Good luck!
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    A side note, personally I think it is good practice to store the filename in the database column, and upload the image to your webspace.

Remove Ads