Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    This is my first post. I'd like to say Hello to everyone and hopefully I will be able to help out around here :glasses: .

One thing I've never really liked about traditional website design is your typical setup where different sections are seperated into their own HTML pages. A user then switches sections from say About Us to Contact Us with your main sitelinks. Somewhere around 50% of your website is then reloaded, your browser goes blank and reloads your content, you see the ugly place holder images, etc.. So I'm designing my websites to work in other ways, either by using a DIV and then assigning it's "src" with a javascript routine, or a better way to do this is to use the IFRAME, which you can reload dynamically using javascript. Also, this allows you to have your dynamically loaded HTML in seperate files, which is not possible with my DIV/javascript method (afaik). Without that you place all your HTML directly in your javascript for every page.

What I'm trying to find out is whether or not I should base my websites on these methods, because maybe the IFRAME and/or dynamically reassigning a DIV's src isn't as supported as I like to think. Has anyone else attempted this style of website before?

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    You'll want to look into Server-Side includes see this post where it says Method 3 - server-side include
    [a web design portfolio - Currently NOT AVAILABLE for work | web design | Re-coding | PSD-to-HTML]
    I'm also on: virb - facebook - twitter - flickr - del.icio.us

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    You'll also want to have a look at AJAX, which can't really be described in a single post but essentially allows you to do round-trips to the server, in the background, asynchronously, and then update the page, all using Javascript (and no iframes). Poke around online and on these forums to find out more about it.

Member #
    The problem with server-side includes is that it still involves reloading on the client end. Shady doesn't want this, so it's not the best solution. AJAX works, but it won't change URLs, disabling bookmarks and direct links.

Iframes... not the best idea either. Why? It falls prey to AJAX's problem - people might end up bookmarking the inner page (without menu) and you can't give direct links either (without some JS).

It's really up to you... but for now, the reload thing just has to be accepted.
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    It does bear mentioning that there are ways around the URL issues with AJAX -- though they're all relatively ugly solutions.

Member #
    I certainly think that altough AJAX (and all JS-based stuff) is great for added functionallity, it's just not good enough to make your whole site AJAX-powered. Turn of JS, and the entire site goes kaboom.
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    I'll just go back to using the different HTML pages. I'm sure users are pretty used to having websites reload like that anyway and I know my clients would want people to be able to link to different pages on their websites. Thanks for answering my questions.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    I still recommend the SSI's to save time when editing tho. Using the SSI method you can put your menu in a separate file or you footer or whatever information is found in all the page. That way ... if you have something that need to be changed in the menu (for example), you'll only have to change in one spot.
    [a web design portfolio - Currently NOT AVAILABLE for work | web design | Re-coding | PSD-to-HTML]
    I'm also on: virb - facebook - twitter - flickr - del.icio.us

Member #
    Or a server-side language. Your clients probably do want all that techy stuff like guestbooks, search features and self-administration... and most commercial servers have at least ASP or PHP. Learn one!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    AJAX is definitely something I don't think should be used exclusively. But a site that uses AJAX wisely and that degrades gracefully can be very nice.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads