Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: An idea I had

Member #
    Liked
    39 times
    I was thinking about what is a website that isn't out, but people would love. I thought about it for a while, and after visiting a bunch of forums, and it came to me. I thought what if a website could pull a bunch of the forums that you visit alot, then put it all on one page.

I know I dont have the skills to do this, but it something that I could work forward to. This is how I think it is possible.

to read the forums, the website would read a bunch of rss reads from it
    to write on the forums (posting topics and replies) it would send a bunch of scripts that would log you in, go on the posting page of the topic you want to post in, then submit.

I think that this is a untouched part of the web which could take a huge adventage. I know that this would be hard for some forum software, but if it could support atleast PhpBB and vB, then it would cover a huge part of the forums. What do you guys think. Is it flawed, too hard, near impossible. Or is it an idea that should be tried out. If it is possible and the website gets the word out, then I think it could be the next myspace or flickr.

Member #
    Liked
    142 times
    DO NOT DO THIS!!!

Automated posting is BAD.

1) can be used by spammers
    2) software like this exists, and is generally hated by forum admins, as the posters can't see the ads that support the site. You can't adjust for all the possible ways of advertising to appear on a site.

If someone wants to read up on several different forums, yes, RSS feeds would be the best way... if their RSS feeds have part or all of the body of the new posts in the feed that is.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    39 times
    I thought this would be a way to make life easier. what do you mean automated posting? It doesn't go on forums and automatically posts ads on all the forums that you go on.

The idea is like Meebo, but with forums. The IMs have ads on them, but the developers are making alot of money, and continuing to make better versions. I do not think that this is going to kill websites, and people might still go directly to the website because of other features such as admin power.

many major companies hate youtube, but many people still want it because it could be a useful tool. This is how I see this website would be. Just a usful tool the a person use because it makes life simpilar.

Member #
    Something I have used is an offline post composer -- as if the forum composer window was a standalone app. PawSoft Fass is like a specialized word processor.

Unfortunately, they didn't take the idea far enough. For example, a spellcheck fuction. Every single forum should have a spellcheck -- few do. Not having a spellcheck on a text driven app ...that has font, list, and Smilies is stark raving nuts.

So I think the general idea has some merit. FASS could be far more useful. However, I do not see an automated post function as necessary. If you're not a spammer, you do not need to post more than one message at a time.

The forum composer function has several usability issues. It wouldn't be a bad thing to 1) find out what users have problems with 2) develop a tool which helps them.

Problem is, that forums can get to 2007 without a decent spellcheck indicates something dysfunctional is going on in the way things get built.

One of usability's most hard-earned lessons is that "you are not the user." If you work on a development project, you're atypical by definition. Design to optimize the user experience for outsiders, not insiders. The antidote to bubble vapor is user testing: find out what representative users need. It's tempting to work on what's hot, but to make money, focus on the basics that customers value.
    -- Growing a Business Website: Fix the Basics First
    The real problem is people don't do that. They build tools for themselves -- then wonder why there is a total market of one for the technology. You aren't the market. And -- provided you are developing something for others to use -- I strongly suggest developing the habit of mind that you are not the user.

Member #
    Liked
    39 times
    you are making it sound like I am trying to make money with this. I am not trying to make money at all, it more for the pride of having a successful website. If you look at many open source projects, it people who dont see any software that they arn't satify with, so they made their own.

Look at TextMate. The project leader made it because he didn't find software that fits his needs, so he made his own and released it to the public, and it is now a huge success.

Member #
    Money or free, open source or not -- my point is still valid. That one in one thousand apps becomes popular is either a tribute to the developer following my advice, which is not about money -- It's about design.

Or it proves the adage that even a blind pig will find a truffle now and then.

I really doubt the Textmate design was based on the project leader's whims. If not originally, usability and proper interface design methodology seeped in over the iterations. Second, developing for coders is much different from developing for people who post to forums.

My point is far more for people who are not in it for the money. When you're in it for the money -- you notice when nobody buys your stuff. And a few of the smarter or greedier people actually change what they're doing. ...On certain rare occasions it has given them reason to invest in user testing and feedback.

With non technical users the usability of open source becomes more important.
    The ideas that TextMate encompass are a dramatic leap from what the traditional text editors have been in the past, but the application itself shouldn't depart so much from the traditionanl user's expectations that it turns interested people away. As first-time users of TextMate and after playing with it for a mere 48 hours, we left feeling confused why this editor (and MacroMates) has shown to disobey so many of the common fundamentals that many of the great editors before it have adopted.
    -- Textmate 1.0.1 Review
    That the textmate example was used gives me pause.

Member #
    Liked
    142 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kayo
    I thought this would be a way to make life easier. what do you mean automated posting? It doesn't go on forums and automatically posts ads on all the forums that you go on.
    Automated posting as in the user is not entering in information, and not seeing the forum itself. If a user doesn't see the page, they aren't seeing the ads = less support for the site.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Remove Ads