Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I have a layout problem that I can't figure out. I had our company website all complete and it looked great, or so I thought. I designed it using Frontpage 2003 then cleaned up the bloated HTML code Frontpage tends to leave behind. I checked the site on IE7, Firefox, and Netscape. It looked fine, functioned as I wanted and I thought I was done.

The problem- I had a visitor email me with a complaint about the website being a jumbled up, unreadable mess. Pictures were overlapping text, none of the <div> were where they were supposed to be or anything. It looked fine on all three browsers that I checked. I could not see a single problem. I checked it on my 19" monitor, a 17" monitor at both 800x600 resolution and on 1024x768, Still no problems I could see. I figured the email was bogus. I checked it on another computer that used AOL and it was a wreck! I saw everything the emailer described! My first thought was it was strictly an AOL issue but then I noticed the email came from verizon.net, which means it is more than just AOL. ( right?)
    I immediately yanked the site back down, completely redesigned a new layout thinking I had done something wrong the first time. The new layout does it too.
    Could I be using the <div> tags wrong? I was told Tables were a no no by today's standards so I tried to avoid using them. I'll post both the original layout and the new layout here for you all to review and see if it's right or wrong when you view.

original layout- www.kandrconstruction.com/index3.html
    2nd attempt- www.kandrconstruction.com/index4.html
    (the 3 and 4 are just there to keep it from being the main page)

This is a corporate website so I have to figure out a solution and fast, it's down from public viewing until I can sort out what is causing it to look perfect on some computers and be unreadable on others.

If it's a simple fix, something I can do from my end, please tell me what I'm doing wrong. If it's a major coding fix, I'll gladly hire anyone interested to fix it. This website needs to be back up asap.

Sorry my first post is a book length, but I'm frantic over this. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Is it at specific resolutions? I hope you're not running into issues with pre-IE6 Internet Explorer versions, because otherwise your life will be substantially more difficult.

Member #
    If it's a specific resolution, I'm not aware of it and did so unintentionally. The only thing I attempted to do was keep the width at 750px on the 2nd design thinking that might be the problem but it wasn't.

I'm clueless to be honest.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by OfficeApe
    If it's a specific resolution, I'm not aware of it and did so unintentionally. The only thing I attempted to do was keep the width at 750px on the 2nd design thinking that might be the problem but it wasn't.

I'm clueless to be honest.
    I meant if the problem pops up at a specific resolution :-)

Remove Ads