Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hey All!

I am wondering if anyone has any insight into successful dashboard design. I am going to be starting a project fairly soon that will require one. I searched for a while on google and didn't find many things. I also don't want to buy a book on it, because I will most certainly never read it. Forums/blogs for me!
    Christopher Carvache
    Web Developer / SEO
    Northeast Web Design
    +1.860.906.7802

Member #
    Liked
    760 times
    I would guess that AJAX would be the preferred method today.
    A mixture of Javascripting and PHP/MySQL database.

If I were getting into a project, I would probably start here:

http://www.google.com/search?q=AJAX+...hl=en&safe=off

Member #
    Designing a dashboard interface is all about 'virtual ergonomics.' In a car, you design the dash to who is going to be in the car. In a Honda S2000, its about the driver. In a Toyota Camry, its about all the passengers.

Figure out who is going to be viewing the dashboard. Map out all the possible information you can display. Prioritize that info into tiers for each user role or category and go from there.

The most successful design will come from you thinking form the perspective of your users and understanding how they want to use the system, not how you want them to use it.

Member #
    Also keep in mind that people usually don't want to learn a new method of navigation, so don't try that. A cloud menu, for example, would be acceptable, but don't make up some new system.

People don't like having to learn something new just to use a site they don't know. The hardest aspect would be, of course, how you design it.
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Remove Ads