Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I got a client that wants to create a site like that but i don't know how much ot charge. Any ideas, numbers would be better.

Thanks!

G

Member #
    I've never done such a project, but I think the price would really depend on how you intend to go about it. If you're going to write the whole thing from scratch, you'll need to charge a lot, as this will take you forever. If you plan on using an existing script and modifying it to fit your needs, you may not need to charge as much. In my opinion, you need to consider how long the project will take and then decide what your time is worth. It's hard to give you numbers without more info. I hope I was helpful.
    Christina Van Dyke

CRV Designs
    Apex, NC
    www.crv-designs.com

Member #
    Christina,

Thank you so much for your input. I saw my client and I charged him accordingly with the amount of time it will take me to do this task. I'm happy with the number!

Thanks!

George

Quote Originally Posted by beachkitty85
    I've never done such a project, but I think the price would really depend on how you intend to go about it. If you're going to write the whole thing from scratch, you'll need to charge a lot, as this will take you forever. If you plan on using an existing script and modifying it to fit your needs, you may not need to charge as much. In my opinion, you need to consider how long the project will take and then decide what your time is worth. It's hard to give you numbers without more info. I hope I was helpful.

Member #
    Did you already have some idea in mind?
    Reason I ask is that at 8 a.m. you posted, at 10 a.m. you got a response and at 12 p.m. you had already met with the client with a number.

"You need to charge a lot" really isn't an answer that you should base your decision on. Yes, it is true if you have to code everything and the size of the project will all be dependent upon what you need to charge.

Overall, beachkitty's answer is a good one. However, it just seems like you were looking for an answer and having met with the client just hours later, it seems like you should have already had some idea in mind that was going to make you happy.

Out of curiousity, what did you base your time and pricing on? How do you know how long the project will take?

Thanks............and good luck, you have a lot of work ahead of you!
    GMan

Member #
    have a hrly rate then time the project andd cost away ... simple:-)

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    If I were developing a site "like YouTube" I would charge anywhere between 10k and 100k depending on the features they wanted.

For 10k, I'd include a user database (registration, login, etc.), video upload, video view, and maybe a basic comment system... 100k would get you closer to what YouTube offers.

Member #
    I'm in agreement with Transio, YouTube is a big site and would take a lot of time and effort and create something like it. As a result a large price tag is going to be needed to be attached to the project.

I hope you have done your sums correctly and worked out the correct fee, only by breaking down a project of this size into smaller parts and allotting yourself time for each landmark will you be able to price it correctly.

As I work by myself i wouldn't even take the project on as the development time for me alone would put me out of action for several months.

Member #
    I agree with Perad

Remove Ads