Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Ive made one page on a web site builder - and I realize these are crappy.

I now have very basic html understanding (slighlty grasp css)

My question is what would be the BEST web page editor program to use? My friend suggested Dreaemweaver 8: I downloaded a trial version and up loaded a pre-made template that was in html & Css. Dreamweaver seems very complicated (and expensive if I want to buy it)

So why is it so expensive? Is coffee cup, homesite or FrontPage any different? Ive heard bad things about FrontPage but not sure why everyone seems so down on it. Ive also used Frontpage to edit a generic template and it seemed easier than dreamweaver. Does Frontpage mess with the code somehow? I heard they implement unnecessary code making SEO difficult.

Anyway- any insight would be great - I want to choose ONE editor and stick to it! Right now Im trying too many different programs and its confusing me.

Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    Dreamweaver is fine only if you stay in the Code view. The moment you use a WYSIWYG editor in any program is the moment you stop thinking "how do I want my page structured" and start thinking "how do I want my page to look." This rubs against the grain of semantic web design.

I have years of XHTML experience, yet I almost never use a WYSIWYG editor; I instead use Dreamweaver in its Code view and Eclipse (which has no WYSIWIG editor). It's important to structure your page semantically first and worry about how it will look later.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Quote Originally Posted by filburt1
    Dreamweaver is fine only if you stay in the Code view. The moment you use a WYSIWYG editor in any program is the moment you stop thinking "how do I want my page structured" and start thinking "how do I want my page to look." This rubs against the grain of semantic web design.

I have years of XHTML experience, yet I almost never use a WYSIWYG editor; I instead use Dreamweaver in its Code view and Eclipse (which has no WYSIWIG editor). It's important to structure your page semantically first and worry about how it will look later.
    Yep ... same here. Except for Eclipse ... will hae to take a look at that one :chinese:
    [a web design portfolio - Currently NOT AVAILABLE for work | web design | Re-coding | PSD-to-HTML]
    I'm also on: virb - facebook - twitter - flickr - del.icio.us

Member #
    I absolutely agree with Filbert and Karinne. I love Dreamweaver because it "finishes my sentences" so to speak. For example, if I'm working on my stylesheet and want to use 'text-align:cener', if I type 'te', it will automatically match 'te' to 'text-align' and then ask me where I want to align the text. It definitely makes thing move along more quickly. I use Frontpage on occasion too, but only in code mode. I think Frontpage is a good way to start before you really understand coding. I used to use the WYSIWYG part of it and then look at the code to see what was going on. It helped me tremendously.
    Christina Van Dyke

CRV Designs
    Apex, NC
    www.crv-designs.com

Member #
    Liked
    760 times
    I know you're talking about a web page editor like Dreamweaver, but in my
    personal opinion, you should use Notepad and do your sites by hand.

yes ... you're probably saying "yikes!" ... but if you get one site done with the HTML
    and CSS using Notepad, you basically have the general "template" to create any
    other sites very easily.

The coding is clean, simple, no extra unnecessary code or white space ...

You know exactly what each <div> is for, and troubleshooting is a snap.

========

Now ... the down-side is the learning curve, but don't despair ... there are already
    CSS tutorial sites that give you the basic HTML/CSS pages to start with.

========

The next step is then learning some PHP to dynamically insert content into your
    pages ... again, it will save tons of time and no need for static web page design.

The hardest part about web development for me is the graphics. I'm not good
    at photoshop and I seek those skills from other people.

EDIT:
    If anyone reading this has a site they've done with Dreamweaver or FrontPage,
    give us a link. I would like the challenge of duplicating it using Notepad to sort
    of prove my point. I think you would be surprised by the final results.

Member #
    Using Notepad is fine, but Dreamweaver doesn't insert any additional code or whitespace. Using it's code view, it's exactly the same as Notepad except that it color codes things to make them easier to see and helps finish your lines as I mentioned in my previous post. You can choose not to use these options, although they don't make any semantic difference in the code.
    Christina Van Dyke

CRV Designs
    Apex, NC
    www.crv-designs.com

Member #
    Frontpage is good as a 'learner' but it generates a lot of messy code that more than likely wouldn't pass validation. I've just found out about a new free editor called NVU - haven't actually tried it yet but it might be worth a shot.. Just Google "NVU" and it's the first result - seems it's an authority site by the extra links there so it should be at least relatively useful!

Member #
    I'd say you used the wrong web site builder.
    People are moving away from DW and FP and just designing templates for some of the many CMS out there. Notepad etc is great for the templates but too slow to build a site with all it's accessibility and SEO features.
    Just find the most approapriate CMS.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Er... I'll have to completely disagree on that point. Some sites (many, even) just don't fit into the CMS model. They fit into the `I want my website to do THIS like THIS', something that is best achieved with dedicated design.

Member #
    I completely agree with Shadowfiend and I couldn't have said it better myself. Most of my clients' needs just aren't possible through a CMS.
    Christina Van Dyke

CRV Designs
    Apex, NC
    www.crv-designs.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads