Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    There is no domain where experience is less important than education. There are simply some domains where it is impossible to get experience without some formal education. Computer science is one of those fields where you can get experience without necessarily having a formal education; however, you always learn from someone, be they a professor teaching in front of a classroom or some person who made a good blog post yesterday.

Member #
    Liked
    761 times
    Digging-in and making websites on your own will be the most beneficial.

I do think that a programming course (such as C++, Perl or PHP) would really
    benefit anyone who is going into web design. Static webpages are pretty
    much a thing of the past now.

XHTML/HTML/CSS and the actual design part requires experience and practice,
    not necessarily classes, but programming classes at a community college would
    be money well spent.

Instead of taking "Web Design", take a programming course, like PHP and
    learn "Web Design" at the same time, on your own.

Member #
    Ok, these are all good replies. So how do I start in trying to find out how to work programs myself, etc. What steps should I make to get these things going? I need some guidance because I don't want to waste my money or time when I can get hired and create my own website on my own. I just don't know where to start. I have Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom and I want to start using it but there isn't directions....
    It would be wonderful to have someone guide me in the right direction. Can you believe I was going to go to Art Institute for my Degree.....they were going to charge $12,000...that's alot! University of Phoenix I heard was under investigation and my community college won't give me all online courses. I'm glad I came back to read some of these things.

Member #
    Liked
    142 times
    I'm in Orlando as well

I got my BS @ UCF (Information Technology) and my MS @ UoP (Computer Information Systems). Only thing I could find that UoP was under investigation for was years ago, and that was some people trying to get as many students as possible (they are for profit after all).

I liked UoP when the class had a good professor. When it didn't, the class rebelled and went over his head. We won Note: You generally have the same people in each class throughout a degree, the teachers just change. Does make learning a bit easier when you get to know your classmates better. In my case, there were no tests, just a lot of papers and presentations. Don't know how they would grade art / coding classes.

As for what programs you should use, that's entirely up to personal preference. Personally, I'd start with good old notepad, so you get to know the actual code better. Once you're used to that, you can step up tp WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get). WYSIWYG sometimes add extra code however, so it's always a good idea to know what it SHOULD be producing before you implement it.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    761 times
    You know how there are always piano and guitar teachers around where
    you visit their house for lessons and pay by the hour?

Too bad there are not PHP, CSS, XHTML lessons like that ...

hmmmm... I wonder if a person could make some good extra money by doing that.

Too bad you don't live by St. Paul ... I would do it for 20 bucks an hour.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mlseim
    hhmmm................
    Portfolio | Blog | Twitter

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mlseim
    You know how there are always piano and guitar teachers around where
    you visit their house for lessons and pay by the hour?

hmmmm... I wonder if a person could make some good extra money by doing that.

Too bad you don't live by St. Paul ... I would do it for 20 bucks an hour.
    You're mirroring an exact situation that happened to me where I tutored somebody in web design. About a year before that, it was Java.

It's really fun to do, the pay is a nice benefit, but I just don't have the time for it anymore. I'm putting it so much freaking time at work that it's not funny.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    We have a lot of Orlando folks in here...

I came out of UCF's Digital Media program specialziing in Internet and Interactive Systems. The experience is worthwhile because nearly all your classes are project based. What you learn in a technical sense is 100% based on your dedication outside of class.

It's easy to just flow through without learning much. There's people in my graduating class that are managing fast food restaurants right now instead of working in their degree field.

Regarding web design vs web dev...

You'll find it's a rare to find someone who truly excels and enjoys both equally. While I have done development in the past, graphic design and art have always been my primary interests. So, that's where I focus to be happy. As a result, I've turned into a lead front-end designer role with a focus on maximizing usability for online retail. Its' rewarding because higher usability = higher conversion rates = more money I get paid.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by nmejias
    Ok, these are all good replies. So how do I start in trying to find out how to work programs myself, etc. What steps should I make to get these things going? I need some guidance because I don't want to waste my money or time when I can get hired and create my own website on my own. I just don't know where to start. I have Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom and I want to start using it but there isn't directions....
    It would be wonderful to have someone guide me in the right direction. Can you believe I was going to go to Art Institute for my Degree.....they were going to charge $12,000...that's alot! University of Phoenix I heard was under investigation and my community college won't give me all online courses. I'm glad I came back to read some of these things.

Anyone can make web sites, anyone can program. What's going to set you apart is your approach and end results that are highly polished. It's the difference between a Porsche and a Corvette.

I 100% suggest you pick up a copy of Dreamweaver, but refrain from using the WYSIWYG Design interface. Stick to code view no matter how much you hate it at first.

Then start dissecting interfaces at CSS Zen Garden. I now believe learning CSS and HTML at the same time is the right approach. Buy a book or four. Read internet web design blogs.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by planetgman
    Experience means more than a degree in this industry, Filburt is right.
    Part of the issue is that school programs are usually outdated by the time they plan the courses.
    I found this when I looked at learndirect, I was looking at courses for dreamweaver and fireworks both of which are teaching Version 4.. Were now on version 8 - soon to be CS3
    Regards Phil,

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads