Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #
    I need help. I was going to start classes with The Art Institute which give you a diploma after 2 years of part time school. THe course costs about $12,000. Now I see some colleges that give you a certificate that are way less. I don't want to waste my money or time. What is required to actually make website or possibly work for a company managing their website. I don't want to go overboard. Thanks for your input.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    From what I've seen (and this may just be the area I live in, the specific schools) it seems like the community colleges have much better web design programs than the tech schools / art schools.

There's this school in my area, Full Sail, and I swear it seems like almost every kid that comes out of that school has no talent OR skills - I'm like, what in the world are they teaching them there? They do a half-way job at everything and they just don't do exceptional work... And that school is really really expensive too. It costs waaaay less to go to Valencia Community College, and it seems like most of the people who graduate from there with their AS in web design have way better talent and skills.

So when we get a resume from someone from Full Sail, we pretty much already know they won't be good enough. Whereas someone from a community college would probably have much better work. But I think you'd need to research the schools in your area to be sure. Or the web design companies in your area - ask them what school they're most likely to hire someone out of.
    choosy developers choose gif!
    website | paintings | blog

Member #
    Wow, we have a Valencia Community College here? So I should probably just go to my Associates degree in Web Design huh? What do you think? I am suppose to start school this April but I really don't want to spend more money than I could somewhere else and still get the same opportunities, you know what I mean?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Well, I'm from Orlando, where are you from? If you don't live in Orlando then I doubt you have a Valencia. Anyways, I still think you should research the schools in your area before making a decision - it's a big decision!

Member #
    Wow, I live in Kissimmee/ Orlando. So how did you create this forum? Did you take Web Design courses? Doe's Valencia really give those classes....gosh I am so confused because like you said "This is a big decision!".

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Oh that's awesome! Ha, I did not create this forum! Filburt did...
    I did take some web design and graphic design courses at Valencia, but I didn't get my AS in graphic design at Valencia - I got my AA at Valencia and then my BS in Computer Science at UCF. Valencia does have a very nice graphic design program though. And please, whatever you do, do NOT go to Full Sail! (No offense to anyone who goes there - I'm not saying ALL of their students are horrible, just from what I've seen, MOST are)

Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    I've found that, in the field of web design, experience is more valuable than formal education. Sorry, but it's the truth. Years of studying computer science and information systems management in college didn't result in me landing my job. Ironically, this forum was part of the reason, but most of it was just freelance work I've done on my own time, unrelated to classes.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Yeah, I do agree that experience is the most important thing. A degree is like icing on the cake.

Member #
    Experience means more than a degree in this industry, Filburt is right.
    Part of the issue is that school programs are usually outdated by the time they plan the courses.

When I hire new designers, I look a little at training and a lot at their portfolio.
    Also, I have had some experience with the "Art or Design Schools". They do offer better programs than local community colleges.......but I don't think they are worth the price.
    Especially, when you look at how much more skills you can get doing it on your own and learning on your own.

Good luck....
    GMan

Member #
    Agreed. I've seen that most people glance by a designer's about page but spend hours looking through pricing and portfolios (thus why I often include links to portfolio pages describing features in the pricing section). We're working on the web, where time goes by slowly and what's important is what people see here - not what the designer looks like in real life, etc.

Now, I'm not trying to boast myself or anything, but I haven't got any education in design, programming, or anything else people recommend, and yet many people do pick me. Why? Because I've spent my time actually making sites and learning. People spend too long learning up the tiny pieces (like what the <blockquote> tag does) and learning through reference materials (like all the possible attributes for the <a> tag, when many attributes are common like the behaviours) while they could really be polishing their skills by doing it.
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads