Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I am looking for a free/cheap e-commerce solution that can do a variety of payment methods including paypal and credit card payments.

While i know people say you need to invest money to make money, i just need to work out if my idea is even possible and while my dad is happy to throw money at my idea i don't really want to waste his money on expensive software before i have to.

The software i need would need to come with an admin side which is easy to administer and a front end which is easy to adapt.

I am looking for recommendations as i don't want to base my site around an unproven bit of software.

Futhermore do all E-commerce sites have to have SSL? If so do prices vary and what kind of SSL would i require to accept the above payments?

Perad

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Did you try osCommerce? I've never tried it, but always wanted to. It's free and open-source...
    choosy developers choose gif!
    website | paintings | blog

Member #
    OS Commerce is a good recommendation.

You can also look on Paypal's site as they recommend some software that will integrate a shopping cart solution pretty easily. I believe it is under merchant services. They will have a whole list of e-commerce software.
    Though, now that I think about it you may have to dig a little looking for the links.

Also, SSL's should be integrated into all e-commerce sites for some form of security.
    SSL's have come down in price quite a bit the past few years.

Good luck.....
    GMan

Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    If I was lamer, I would spam my company's solution; a 100% custom storefront powered by our 100% custom CMS. But that would be lame, hence the lack of links.

Not every solution will likely require SSL, but you will want SSL in any case to encrypt all that private personal data, both to protect you and your customers.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    doesn't paypal have a good cart system? you could try their PayPal Pro system. I think they have developers and scripts on the site but not sure.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    osCommerce and Joomla+VirtueMart are two very good open source CMS solutions. I've set up both in the past, and have been very pleased with them.

Arien, give a link to your company... (or PM it to me if you like). I'd be interested in seeing what you guys have to offer. I'm always looking for a better CMS, even if it meas it'll cost some dough.

Member #
    Ive used cubecart in the past very easy to setup and skin aswell as being a CMS and SSL
    Regards Phil,

Remove Ads