Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I've been thinking about making myself a portfolio website for a while, and tonight I finally sat down and threw together a mockup of the layout. I would love to get some first impressions before I develop the idea further.
    Heres a link to a screenshot:
    http://img413.imageshack.us/my.php?i...conceptus4.png

Also, I'm having trouble deciding on a name for my website and design company, any suggestions are appreciated.

Member #
    I'm looking for a good name too - but I suggest picking up a thesaurus, find a word you know, and get a synonim. It's a great way to come up with cool-sounding words that have a meaning. Just make sure you google and whois the name first to make sure you're not clashing with anyone.

As for the design, it looks nice, but the main problem is that a lot of the lines are too rough (not antialiased). Do it for the sidebar corners, too.
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    Liked
    760 times
    Do you happen to own www.danburke.com?
    That one is parked with GoDaddy.

Easy ones like this "dancast.com" are taken,
    but this one, "dankast.com" is not yet taken.

The orange theme, I was thinking "sunkist", "dankist" (taken).

But go to: www.domainregister.com and test out a few to
    see if they're taken ... you never know.

I teased my daughter Caitlin, calling her "catpin" and was amazed
    to discover that "catpin.com" was not yet taken ... that was only
    two years ago. I immediately grabbed onto that easy 6-letter name.
    Sometimes, you just find something not yet taken. You'll be surprised.

Member #
    I too suggest using people/family/children that are important to you as a good resource.
    However, if that isn't important to you then the thesaurus is a good recommendation. As is things that you like.
    An area you live in is a good thing to incorporate into your name also.

I just dealt with a company the other day (a web designer) that his address was his URL.
    That may not mean a lot to someone out of state, but everybody knows that the office address is his companies name. First time I had seen that.

Good luck.....
    GMan

Member #
    Thanks for the suggestions with the name, a theseaurus does sound like a good idea. I know this sounds stupid and obvious, but I want a name that sounds cool and conveys the type of designer I am. In response to mlseim: no I don't own danburke.com, but I wish I did.

As for the design, it looks nice, but the main problem is that a lot of the lines are too rough (not antialiased). Do it for the sidebar corners, too.
    I know, this was just a rough idea I through together, the actual website will hopefully have smother corners.

Please keep the suggestions for the name and design coming, I really apreciate it.

Member #
    Thats what a thesaurus is for. You can find a word corresponding with your style that might sound completely new to many people but has a real meaning in it. Lately, however, people seem to go for the "cute and memorable" names rather than cool names. A lot of great websites do this. Google, Yahoo, the entire Wiki community, Flickr, etc. The other current trend is to use words that are (sometimes remotely) connected with a concept, like Wordpress.
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Remove Ads