Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    I have some ideas on services to offer over the internet. Through websites and forums. I don't want to go to much in detail because I don't know who I can tell my ideas without running any risk of that person taking my idea.
    So I was wondering if you cab hire someone to create a forum for you? Will that person also tell you how to use it and keep it up? Are you just better off finding a friend or relative that has experience and/or the knowledge in setting up sites and such?

Member #
    If you hire someone, you need a contract. Although this doesn't automatically restrain them from taking your idea, it will ensure some overhead. This contract can take the form of a non-disclosure agreement or similar. Don't ever think that a project is too small or insignificant for formal documentation. It gives you ease of mind because you'll have requirements outlined explicitly.

If you have a relative who knows their stuff, better for you because it wil be more cost-effective. But yes, you can hire someone to create a forum for you, or you can set it up yourself. It's really not difficult. All it takes is downloading the software and uploading it to your server. There are plenty of people who make skins for forum software also. phpBB is great forum software to use if you go the do-it-yourself route. If you do decide to hire someone you can either have them set it up only, or you can pay them a bit more for a walkthrough of how to maintain it. It really depends on who you hire.

Member #
    I have a laptop and a DSL connection. I thinking that won't suffice to hold the forum. What is a server exactly and how would I go about If I want to do-it-myself?

I appreciate your help alot!

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Luminesqua
    I have a laptop and a DSL connection. I thinking that won't suffice to hold the forum. What is a server exactly and how would I go about If I want to do-it-myself?
    If you don't know what it is, then I recommend that you look into a good hosting plan. Heck, even if you know what a server is, I would still recommend a good hosting plan (unless you really know what you are doing).
    Portfolio | Blog | Twitter

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

Member #
    Liked
    39 times
    if you badly want to set up a server on your computer, then you should download a program called Wamp. It does all the hard parts for you. But I only suggest this to test webpages that renders serverside such as php, RoR, etc. But never use it as a real website.

I think you should try a free service such as awardspace.com, or 110mb.com just the get the feel of website managment, but you should use a pay service some time.

Member #
    Wamp is a bit outdated, though.

But here's something to remember. There's really no point in "hiding an idea so nobody will steal it". This the open web, once you do launch it someone WILL steal it. If you've got a good idea, just tell people about it - it's actually much safer. Sure some people might try the idea themselves, but the web is an inmaterialistic world - nobody can just "steal" your idea and make a site that immediately rivals yours. The web is far too complex for that (they still need to make a member base, advertise - something you have to do too at first). I'd say just tell us what you want to make because if you're only asking about how to create a forum, we can't really make out what your goal is of this forum. Your goal determines what software to use, suggested budget, etc.

Remember: Any idea on the web will be stolen. It's just up to you (and anyone who stole your idea) about who can make a more successful site (which is a complex thing to do).
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    I disagree with Steax, while your idea will be stolen, its all about being number 1. If you are the first out there and advertise your idea well then congrats, you will have a user base and may even make a few $$$. Of course people will steal your idea, your mission will then be to keep innovating to stay ahead of the clones. The first well marketed site 9 times out of 10 will be dominant in any specific area till a reasonable alternative comes out.

Now if you told me your idea and I was to steal it. Depending on the complexity of the idea, i could probably make it within 2-6 weeks. Add a week for the prelaunch marketing and spreading the word. I could have YOUR idea out on the web in 3-7 weeks.

How close are you to launching your site? From what i can tell it is just on the drawing board. If you was to release your idea after my site, yours would be the clone and you would struggle to establish yourself.

Keep your ideas close to your chest and do research about the feasibility of your idea. If it is genuinely good then try to get someone to invest in it, preferably family or a friend. You can then afford to hire a reputable designer to make your site. This will greatly reduce the chance of someone else hitting the web before you.

The other route is to try to get someone to do it for free, for this to happen you would have to get a percentage of any profits to the person otherwise they may just keep the site for themselves.

The web is a bunch of a faceless people, be careful who you confide your ideas in.

Member #
    True. But more than often the one who succeeds isn't the first, but the one with the best content and marketing power. In general with forums, your members are you content, so you need a good member base. If like google suddenly steals your idea (unlikely but just a description) then its just a matter of time before people start leaving your site, probably because google will have more features etc.

In order for your idea to succeed, you have to establish a good base for it.

Oh, and make sure the idea isn't taken yet, because a HUGE amount of ideas are already out there somewhere on the web.
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    To the original poster: if you don't know how websites work, how do you expect to competently perform in the industry? I've seen people throw $100,000+++ into a project expecting "experts" to help them, but because of their lack of knowledge, they failed.

The first thing you should do if you have a great idea is learn the industry in which you plan to do business.

- Steve

PS - This is exactly why I put my beverage company and automobile manufacturing company on hold... I don't have enough industry knowledge to effectively compete.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Perad
    Now if you told me your idea and I was to steal it. Depending on the complexity of the idea, i could probably make it within 2-6 weeks. Add a week for the prelaunch marketing and spreading the word. I could have YOUR idea out on the web in 3-7 weeks.
    This is a very basic version of the truth. Right now, I'm developing a prototype of a new type of web community, and there is a lot of fear from the investors that established companies with similar interests could be up and running inside a few weeks, and already have an established community to whom they can market their service expansion. A SIGNIFICANT portion of the business plan addresses exactly this concern, and everyone on my team is racking their brains trying to figure out every possible scenario we may deal with so that we know how to respond.

Remember www.friendster.com?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads