Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Okay, this is kind of a strange problem, I think, and I have no clue what is causing it.
    I created a logo in GIMP and I made the sides of the image (around the circular logo) a specific colour so it would match the background colour. However, when I look at this in IE, the background and the edges of the image do not match. It looks perfect in Firefox. The image colour IS the same colour as the background colour--they are both set to #330847.

You can look at it here: http://www.esharpwebdesign.com/desig...rit/index.html

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Member #
    I did a bit more poking, and it looks like the colour is fine when saved as a gif, but the image itself looks bad, especially the circle... Argh.

Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    You've encountered one of two major problems with PNGs in Internet Explorer.
    1. Alpha blending (variable transparency) doesn't work in IE6. IE7 fixes this.
    2. The color gamut is wrong in all versions of IE, transparency or not. I believe IE will render the PNG slightly darker than it it supposed to, so the problem becomes visible when the edge of a PNG is a solid color and directly next to the "same" color; IE will render them as slightly different colors, and an edge becomes visible. The only reliable solutions are to not use a PNG or to use one such that this edge doesn't become visible.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by filburt1
    You've encountered one of two major problems with PNGs in Internet Explorer.
    1. Alpha blending (variable transparency) doesn't work in IE6. IE7 fixes this.
    2. The color gamut is wrong in all versions of IE, transparency or not. I believe IE will render the PNG slightly darker than it it supposed to, so the problem becomes visible when the edge of a PNG is a solid color and directly next to the "same" color; IE will render them as slightly different colors, and an edge becomes visible. The only reliable solutions are to not use a PNG or to use one such that this edge doesn't become visible.
    Thanks for your reply. A friend of mine found a way to make it look good in GIF format, but trying to duplicate what she did so far isn't working for me simply because I don't know GIMP well enough yet...

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    It bears mentioning that it may be very difficult to make a PNG look good in GIF, since PNGs are not indexed (by default) and therefore have a much wider color range. You might want to look into scripts that automate PNG transparency hacks for IE, such as the one at this site. There are, of course, also others.

Remove Ads