Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hello, thanks to everyone and i say thanks in advance to anyone that can help. I am a completly 'green' web deveolper. I have pretty much taught myself how to use photoshop dreamweaver and everything else i use on my owe. No schooling no classes just trial and error and reading some book here and there. I have done a couple of web sites for fun and just to see what i could do and my question is, when i load the two sites i have done..especially www.tristatesurvey.com the page loads extremly slow. it loads in what seems like 'sections' or something. can anyone tell me why this is? and even more how to fix it? Thanks to everyone again

Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    It's a crapload of images. Never, ever, ever use ImageReady or another tool to create your page for you. You'll always want to do it by hand.

Example: all of that text should be actual text inside of your HTML and not the image. While there are so many benefits of doing it that way, it specifically helps your problem because one character is one byte whereas your images are many thousands of bytes.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Ok when you say dont use image ready do you also mean photoshop? I use photshop to do the main design and then use the saveforweb option to make it into the HTML and yes there are a bunch of images for each page. If not using photoshop, what do i use? Thank you so much for you help

Member #
    I am not familar enough with ImageReady or Photoshop, however I think filburt1 means dont use both.

His point is, your software is saving your body text as an image, which explains the slow load time.

Member #
    You need to understand that text on the web should be real text, not images.

But the key lesson you should learn is that the web is not about beauty, as implied by web design via photoshop. The web is about content. You should learn that a site is its content, and wrap your design around that. Learn CSS and HTML. You should learn those before photoshop, actually - in fact, a pretty good site can be done without any photoshop work with mere HTML and CSS.

Your page there is over 400kb big, it loads in pieces, is completely blind to screen readers, isn't search-engine crawlable, and takes several minutes to load on a slow connection. Tackle these problems first.

Tip: A standard page should be nowhere above 200kb. And that alone is generous. Out of experience I'd guess that about 80% of a page's size is for the media. Another 10% to markup and coding and the final 10% for content.
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    Its loads fine for me... 5MB Broadband ftw!

Photoshop should be used for design... NOT for coding. When you export a web page in Photoshop all it does it does is makes an image appear within a webpage. If you use the slice tool then it will add lots of tables to fit all of the images together.

You could cut down your page size to almost nothing by using CSS for background colors and html for your text.

Member #
    This just adds to what others here have said. There is no need for all those images in the layout. Everything could be achieved by CSS/HTML and minimal use of images. Then the page will load faster and you'll get a ton of other benefits in the process (SEO, easier updating, easier redesigning, etc).
    Christina Van Dyke

CRV Designs
    Apex, NC
    www.crv-designs.com

Remove Ads