Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: intranet how?

Member #
    Hi, I'm working for a company and they want me to design an intranet. I'm quite competent at creating websites and am eager to learn how to create 'dynamic' websites. What software would I use?

I use dreamweaver at home, could I use this and read up about asp.net to create database functionality to create a people search for employees etc...

We use a windows server that does not support PHP or MySQL i think.

Any suggestions?

Member #
    Visual Studio is the tool of choice for ASP.NET. I don't really like the code that you get, so I'd stay away from the visual side of things, but aside from that it's a wonderful tool. I guess you could really use anything though, it's just a matter of figuring out how to set it up. So yeah, you could use Dreamweaver. It just makes more sense to use the tool that's made for a specific task/language, i.e. Visual Studio.

I'm sure you know this, but I'll reiterate: the software doesn't matter, it's the end result. There's not one piece of software that'll give you a better web site if you don't know the language to begin with. So just a disclaimer, before you go buy a $1000 piece of software, learn up on the language a lot. You can also try the Express versions to begin with. They're nice and free.

Member #
    I don't know what kind of roles your company is looking for it's intranet to fill but in many cases you can simply download a pre-built system for free like drupal or but an inexpensive highly modifiable proprietary system like IPB/Vbulletin and use that to build the intranet site quickly and easily.

Noting that you don't have access to a SQL server you should consider downloading and using the Windows version of MySQL since its free and excellent software.

http://www.mysql.org/downloads/mysql/5.0.html

It will work on many different versions of Windows so if your companies server is 7 years old or newer it shouldn't have any problem.

Remove Ads