Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Member #
    I wish you the best of luck. Keep in mind that some scripts are already pre-made somewhere on the web, and this means you don't always have to create everything from scratch (which would be a considerable challenge for anyone). Try this for the more common functions like Membership systems or Galleries.
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

ljm
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Definitely. You can always learn more about the language by following a tutorial that explains the script and what it all does. Sometimes the best way to learn is to improvise within a tutorial; so rather than copying and pasting the whole script, you read the author's comments and write it down yourself.

Member #
    ljm / steax,
    Are there any particular sites which you think have good tutorials with which you can follow the authors comments?? Or is there already a thread or post with this on? Sorry if there is, i must have missed it!
    Cheers_Edd

ljm
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I generally don't like tutorial repositories because the quality between each one varies a lot, but check out www.pixel2life.com and head to the PHP section. There should be a section on basics where you can start out. Once you know how things work with PHP, and how to do basic stuff, move on to stuff like communicating with a database and getting results. It's good to understand what goes on and how it's done in case you use a script and need to edit it. After all that, just practice! The more you experiment with things, the better knowledge you'll get of the language. Don't start off too ambitiously, just take it slowly.

Also, the PHP Manual is the best place to research different functions and find out what they do - use that as a reference until you're confident you can do things by yourself, then use it to experiment a bit. Some tutorials may not explain a function, so the manual will fill in that gap very well.

There are plenty of PHP sites about, and these forums as well. I've not researched anything else, but I imagine there will be similar resources for other languages, if PHP doesn't seem to be your thing.

Member #
    One I've found very helpful is the simple membership system in evolt, which slingshot me into OOP in PHP. Also thanks to that I learned a lot about Regular Expressions and it also allowed me to create my own custom method after a lot of tinkering.

It's also greatly commented, too.
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    Hey fellas,
    I'm getting kinda frustrated here. What's the best way of going about database integration with a website?
    If I designed the website with Dreamweaver, how do I integrate it with my database for easier editing?
    If I'd like to set it up so my client can login online and update it himself, how do I got about that?
    I'm seeing some interesting things here, but it's still kinda confusing. Especially for a newbie, whose been working with templates, and just desided to do the real thing.
    Or can I do that with a template software? I mean designing a dynamic website and integrating it with my database?
    Oh, please help!
    D-Bytes

Member #
    Liked
    760 times
    d-bytes ...

It is all kind of confusing.

You need to determine how much content your clients needs to maintain.

If it's just a few paragraphs on a few pages, then a very simple text editor
    would be fine ... even something where the client uses notepad to make
    their text and you give them a place to upload it.

If they have a complex database (MySQL) and you need to give them all
    kinds of sophisticated access, then something like Joomla might be best.
    Keep in mind that anything like Joomla will be using their templates. To
    integrate your own templates is a whole new topic.

Member #
    Stay away from coldfusion and stick to PHP/mysql.....
    ------------
    Matt Parent
    ParentTechnology.com
    Grand Rapids Website Design

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Remove Ads