Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Hello People of WDF.
    Couple of Questions for you. Ive just finished my first website using CSS (only ever done one other site) www.e3vision.com which is for my friends company(on my website at moment). I have a general knowledge on creating static web pages.
    Now my friend has got me another site to do - property developer website. They want the usual 4 or 5 pages but they need a Projects page which they need to add and amend details on. So we are talking an Admin (Back of Page) Webdesign, with the ability to add and amend new records.
    Now i have some tutorials on this and the different ways on doing it - now knowing my PHP skills are at the very basic i have heard that Coldfusion is very good and easy to use at creating back of page admin features. Im thinking of using the Free Developer Version of Coldfusion as It's not going to be a large site with lots of traffic.
    Thrown in the mix is that they want the site A.S.A.P (they said in 7 days originally (i laughed)), i am a quick learner and think that i should be able to do this in a few weeks.
    1. Is Coldfusion good for what i need it to do? Whats your experience with this software? Or what would you suggest to use?
    2. Can you work with the Free Version without many problems? Or is it one of these software trials that you cant do jack .....(2 sylables, sounds like Kite) with?
    3. How long do you THINK it would take to do a site like this if you had little experience?
    4. The age old big ? is .. How much to charge? I will need to create a basic Database, all the admin features, the layout, templates and Web Pages. FACTORS to consider is they need it quick but im not that hugely experienced.
    5. Is there a better quicker way to do this type of site?
    Hope you can help me!
    Cheers Edd.

Member #
    Coldfusion is a piece of software for designers, not programmers. It can be very easy to create some things, but also difficult for other stuff. I've never used CF before, so don't take my word for it - but I've heard it's a lot like HTML. My recommendation, for the easy support and development (although with a crappy API), would be PHP. Some do suggest RoR, but I still use PHP (because host doesn't help much).

For the rest of your questions, through PHP it's quite straightforward. An admin system is simply a password-protected page, which even at its most complex is a simple database retrieval. The remaining pages are probably accessed via another database retrieval. The menu is an enumeration script. To me, as long as you don't get too complex, like multi-level pages or anything, most of it is quite simple. The Projects page is also rather simple.

Those 3 systems are probably lacking, and most chances he'll also want some stuff like a news system. This can get complex. The simplest form might get done in a week (the programming, not the designing), but you might want to charge a bit more.

As for your last question - there is a faster way. There are login/membership scripts you can find for your admin system. There are also plenty of scripts for news systems. And of course, you can always ask here.
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    As Steax said, most of that would be doable in a week for me. But I've been coding for a while. If you *also* have to learn PHP or whatever it is you choose to use, a week might be too optimistic. You might be able to hack something together in a week, but it will be completely unmaintainable.

Member #
    Don't waste your time with Coldfusion. It's probably the worst language for the web, and anyone who says it's so great doesn't know what they're talking about. They're probably not real programmers. If you want a language that has HTML-like tags that get processed server-side, go for ASP.NET.

In the case of this site, PHP is a good option, as everyone is saying.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Or for HTML-like tags, you also have the option of J2EE or Rails with DRYML.

Member #
    Liked
    760 times
    Edd ...

Look into something like Joomla:
    http://www.joomla.org/content/view/12/26/

Knowing a little bit about your previous adventures,
    I think you might be interested in a "general do-all"
    content management system.

From little websites to large ones.

Now, keep in mind that Joomla sort of has that template feel to it,
    and I don't have much Joomla experience, but it seems like it would
    be a rather quick way to get something going ... very similar to what
    you are look for.

Member #
    Thanks for your responses! Well thats certainly knocked me sideways - i thought coldfusion was going to be the answer (shame as i have some tutorials on using this). I should hopefully know more next week with regard to what exactly they need to be able to do - Once i know this i can estimate a time line and Price!
    Coldfusion is a piece of software for designers, not programmers.
    To be honest steax the above is the reason i was thinking about using it - i really dont know how i will take to Programming Language.
    From all your info im tempted to do either PHP or ASP.net, i here PHP is a bit more heavy going on the Noggin - it just seems that PHP is maybe more versatile than ASP.net?
    Max thanks for this Joomla link (not heard of it before)- ill have a 'goosey' at there demo later (dont want to get caught going through it at work! ha!)
    I'll let you all know what i decide. Feel free to keep posting reply's if other suggestions come to mind - that goes for anyone else as well. Maybe you love coldfusion and think it rocks the pance off anything else! although maybe after Eddy Bones' comments you may feel different - it certainly made me think twice on it!
    Thanks to you all, Edd.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I'd argue that .NET is waay heavier on the noggin than PHP. PHP can be very basic and straightforward if you need it to be, whereas ASP.NET tends to bring an entire framework along for the ride even for basic stuff (much like Ruby on Rails does).

Member #
    Thing is, PHP/ASP works like most other programming languages, plus the extra notations, as opposed to Coldfusion. I really really suggest you to go learn a programming language anyway, as sooner or later you'll be learning Flash or Javascript, both of which use a programming language. Just don't get trapped in the realm of non-programmatic languages.
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    I have taken your advice and have started to learn PHP. I started with the basics obviously - which at first i must admit frazzled my head (i think it was because i have had no language experience of any kind, and the initial concept of how a string for example may be used confused me) but once i read through the basics part of php nets manual @ http://www.php.net i began to search for examples on the net and i began to understand the basics.
    Thankfully this project has been put on hold as im designing the client another site first. This will give me more time to get familiar with php for going dynamic.
    I'll keep you posted with my progress - i will probably have loads of php questions for you all!
    Cheers again for your advice!
    Edd

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads