Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    hey, im just beginning to open the door to internet languages and web design. It seems very confusing on what to use php, xhtml, html, css, xml.....ect. But i am thinking of a career in it. It just seems to me that you wouldnt be able to make a stable income on web design. If you are a proffesional web designer or just a free lance web designer post your thoughts and opinions I would really like to hear them

Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    It'll be risky, more work, and possibly more rewarding to be freelance. You're safer working for some decently established (i.e., in business for several years with several employees) company.

I work for a company that's been around for seven years with 12 or so employees now as my primary source of income.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    The thing with web design is that you're always forced to be on the cutting edge. Every day new sites with new ideas are popping up, new techniques and styles designed, and new communities and organizations founded. If you're willing to spend half your worktime catching up on the constantly evolving world here, that's great. Even formal education is often lacking when it comes to actual productivity.

I'm very young (16) and have worked for a year or so. So far I've got enough money that might keep me alive in my own, but I do understand that joining a company (or even better in some conditions, joining up with fellow designers and making a company) can be better.
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    Ive been in the game for over 5 years now, started right at the bottom earning nothing for 6 months to train and just get my foot in the door of a local company, then once i learnt a few tricks joined another more reputable company as a junior, then having worked for this company and watching it grow (or not as the case was sometimes) i began to get stuck in a ruck and was losing my will to design, id lost all passion for it. This was until i got hold of a great freelance contact, it was then i began earning more for slicing and designing two websites than i would get paid in a month in my actual 'job' so freelance was the better option although with a mortgage etc this was a dangerous option as the work wasnt always guaranteed... so id say look for a decent contact, ask around on these forums there are plenty of people looking for designers, but if you're just starting up make sure you stay ahead of trends and build up a kick a55 portfolio!

In summary id say working for a company for years on end is a bad thing, other employees started to drag you down, you need to keep your head freash so change jobs every 2 -4 years i'd say until you find the right place. Now i earn an excellent wage being a creative director working from home in Kent for a succesful but small company up in Suffolk... if its hard cash you wanna see and plenty of it, then a developer would suit you better, but if you just cant face staring at all those numbers and letters all day and have a natural creative flair then join the design race!!!

Member #
    Liked
    142 times
    If you love it, it's easy to make money in it, and stable cash at that. Just need to put in some hard work. I'd see if you like it enough to pursue it though.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    I just recently got my first 'proper' web design/development job working in house for Goway Travel.

I'm 19 now, being building sites since I was 14, all pro-bono work and I guess it paid off very nicely.

I'm from Sydney living in Toronto working as a Junior Web Developer. When I go home at the end of this year I may already have a job lined up simply because my Dad mentioned to a guy that I was working as a web developer here.

I actually have regained a lot of my passion for designing and building website since getting this job a I love every minute of it.

I guess I see my career as working either working for a specific web design company or as a web design team in another industry whilst doing freelance on the side.

The only thing that worries me is...I'm not even 20 and this is what I want my career to be. Can I do this for the next 30 years? Obviously a lot will change (a good and bad thing), but it's a field where everyday is different yet so much the same.

Member #
    I run a small web design firm and have done incredibly well. I'm 21 and still in school, but I make more than enough money to get by. In my experience, if you do a great job for a client, they will most likely refer you to people they know. That's how I get most of my business. Web design is something you must have a passion for to do well at professionally, however. If I didn't absolutely love what I do, I wouldn't be any good at it. I disagree with others who say that you have to spend so much time keeping up with current trends. Perhaps my clients are just different, but they want a beautiful site that functions excellently. For the most part, they could care less about trends.
    Christina Van Dyke

CRV Designs
    Apex, NC
    www.crv-designs.com

Member #
    thanks for all the feedback people.

Member #
    If you are just starting out I would always suggest joining a firm and doing freelance in your spare time if possible. You'll probably learn loads from a firm which you can apply to your own business in the future.

I do websites freelance in my spare time, and I am incharge of managing web projects at work but we deal with web firms, we will not deal with freelancers mainly because of the level of support for your money is less and they tend to know less than a team.

Try focus in which ever area you can develop in better, either design or development (coding) they are greatly different unless you go the freelance route where you do everything, or farm out certain areas to other people which you are not comfortable in.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by beachkitty85
    I disagree with others who say that you have to spend so much time keeping up with current trends. Perhaps my clients are just different, but they want a beautiful site that functions excellently. For the most part, they could care less about trends.
    Trends aren't critical to your clients, but I'd argue they _can_ be critical to you. Really, I don't mean trends, but I do mean staying on the cutting edge. People are constantly coming up with better, easier, cooler ways to achieve things, and if you keep your ear to the ground, you can start using those and make your life easier and your sites just a little cooler, a little bit at a time. I also personally just enjoy seeing the neat things people come up with, though :-)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads