Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

j2k
    Member #
    Hi everyone,

Given the fact IE7 has been with us for several months now, would you consider it to be a brave move, or plain stupid to drop support for IE6 when you create a new website?

My site shows that the majority still use IE6 but that is decreasing every day, and pretty soon IE7 will be the main browser. One of the reasons I ask your opinion is that I'm redesigning my web site. It's XHTML and CSS, and is standards compliant. Renders perfect in IE7, Opera, Firefox, Safari, Camino and any other browser you can think of. Except IE6.

It would take a lot of effort to fix it for IE6. With IE6's user base gradually dwindling, is it worth it?

In your opinion, should webmasters still take the time and effort to make a site compatible with IE6 now it's been superseded by IE7? After all, we don't make sites still compatible with IE3 anymore! So really the question is, at what point should we cease supporting legacy browsers -- including IE6?

Interested to hear your thoughts

Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    Support IE6 until its usage drops to 5% or lower of the market, and even then, the site should still work in it. That number is just my opinion, but the idea stands that if a significant portion of your audience uses a browser, then you need to support that browser.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Actually, even stuff like Netscape or IE5 are still around. The problem comes from pure math. Even if only 0.6% of visitors use Netscape (for example) on a particular site, if that site gets 100,000 unique visitors (something not that hard to achieve with good content), thats already 600 visitors. And you never know...

I personally will keep IE6 support for about 5-10 years ahead. Right now the specific coding to support it is worth only a few bytes (although admittedly that doesn't include the time pouring over hacks), so I'm not going to reject a good portion of my visitors for a few saved bytes.
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    I just finished coding a site, totally forgetting about IE6, so when I told my Dad to look at it...he was like "it doesn't work."

I went back and totally re-coded it all just so stupid IE6 could use it.

I think I'll be designing for it for a couple of years still.

Member #
    Dumb.

IE6 unfortunately has a big share of the market currently. If you creating websites for clients it is a must to be comptable on all broswer levels. You are right the market is shrinking but it is still a big market.

Thanks,

Remove Ads