Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I am just recently breaking into web design, and I was wondering if this was halfway decent. Here's a link to a screenshot of the website in question:
    http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/6...tetype1gf2.jpg
    On my navbar, I've set it all on an external stylesheet to I can easily maintain a theme throughout the site. At present I have two line breaks in between each link in the code for the actual site, because I don't know how to code it in css (if you know how, please tell me, that would be great). I had to set a width for the hover so that I could put a non-opaque background on it, but since doing so it now pushes all of my links down whenever I hover over one. Could someone tell me what I need to add or take out to fix this problem?
    Here's the code I used :
    #links
    {
    border: 4px outset rgb(196, 195, 221);
    width: 110px;
    height: 375px;
    background-image: url(linkbg.jpg);
    float: right;
    text-align: center;

}
    #links
    {
    position: absolute;
    top: 197px;
    left: 15px;
    }
    #links a
    {
    color: green;
    font-family: arial;
    padding: 0px;
    text-decoration: none;
    }
    #links a:link
    {
    text-decoration: none;
    }
    #links a:hover
    {
    border: 2px inset aquamarine;
    color: aquamarine;
    }
    #links a:hover
    {
    background-color: black;
    filter: alpha(opacity=20);
    width: 100px;
    }
    #links a:active
    {
    background-color: red;
    filter: alpha(opacity=20);
    width: 100px;
    }
    Also, any other suggestions are much appreciated.
    By the way, it's not actually supposed to be anything yet, I just got it set up so I could possibly do something with it in the future.
    *Edit* I know that it would be better to center the entire page, but that doesn't work using absolute positioning; I know that it does work using relative positioning, and I'm working on getting that going right now. If there's another way to do it, please let me know.
    *Edit#2* Finished getting it all in relative positioning and it's now centered. I've added shadows to each side as well, but there's another problem. Can I use css to tell them to extend farther than the image and just have the image stretch? It would make it far more complicated if I had to use multiple shadow images per side.

Member #
    About the linebreaks, use margins instead. And for your layouting questions, are you using CSS or tables for layout?
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    CSS of course, I really don't like tables at all.

Member #
    How do I do that with margins? It bunches multiple links on the same line when I do just the top and bottom margins, and when I do the sides, it widens the whole navbar thing even though I have the width set.

Member #
    Set margin right and margin bottom.

Remove Ads