Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Member #
    i tend to be good one time at designing a site, then the next site i can't. same goes forr coding, code some perfectly then other poorly. I think design, especialy typograpghy are crucial and i been tring to learn as much as i can in that field.

as you can see a lot of the good sites are very bland on clor and very well laid out.

aslo when i deisng i try using grids so that 1, it looks very neat, and 2 it is easy to translate into css

Member #
    The longer I work, the more I find that the easiest way to really get somewhere is to pick up a pencil and draw. This applies to everything from database schematics to layouts. You just need to let go of the grip created by that vector tool, and let your mind roam freely.
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

ljm
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I've taken heed of all advice offered here and found out that I can create something good looking, if I put the patience in. I looked at different websites, how they use colours and what they do with the space available and stuff. Along the way I was constantly adjusting a layout I had in Photoshop, tweaking bits and adding new things, as well as deleting other bits that looked bad.

I discovered that one of the main problems I will ever encounter right about now is the lack of purpose for making a site. I do it solely for recreation and to teach myself new things, so I'm usually rather stuck on the content side. The other thing I found out was that while looking at sites is good for inspiration, it's always better to just mess about and come up with your own thing. My mock up is probably similar to a lot of sites, and the layout is very Wordpress-esque (two column, big header), but I got there through experimentation rather than straight up copying.

The final hurdle is splitting it up and getting it to look right with XHTML and CSS, which is always a challenge (tweaking CSS to work across all browsers can take me upwards of a few hours).

I guess I can put the mockup in the Starting Out folder to see what people have to say. I also thank you all for the advice, as I know it was an interesting and rewarding read, and I am sure people in a similar position to me will find it very helpful.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Remove Ads