Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi there,
    Im studying computer systems engineering year 2(only 1 unit, the middleware unit) and we are learning what we have been described to as JavaServerPages and using the validation scripting Javascript, I was just wondering if anyone can please tell me what the abreviations are because i cant find jsp scripting tutorials, and i have always been told java is more of an computer application program, coz there is a java class that i dont take(has nothing to do with webdesign aparently) and every one here talks about web design programming as java and its really confusing. some one please help me out.

thanx in advance

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Javascript is a scripting language that runs in the browsers, based largely on the ECMAScript standard. It carries extensions to map the (X)(HT)ML Document Object Model (DOM) to it, which is what makes it so useful as a web scripting language.

Java Server Pages are written in Java, which is a completely different language based partly on C and C++, and which was created by Sun in the same relative timeframe as Javascript (Javascript being from Netscape). Java is typically used in one of two domains: desktop applications or web applications. In web applications, it provides the backend; that is to say, it runs on the server side and interfaces with databases and things like that. Javascript, on the other hand, runs on the client side.

Java is substantially heavier than Javascript, is statically typed, has class-based OO, and is supposedly pure OO (which I consider to be BS, but that's how they advertise it). It is compiled to bytecode and runs on a virtual machine which generally is cross-platform (though the odd little inconsistencies between platforms have earned Java the moniker `write-once, debug everywhere', a play on the original marketing slogan of `write-once, run everywhere'). It is extremely widely-used in the industry (far too much so, in my opinion), and knowing how to code in Java is sort of the base requirement in the programming industry (for now, anyway).

Javascript is lighter, is dynamically typed, has prototype-based OO (though the next version of the ECMAScript standard that will trickle into Javascript right around Firefox3 or so supports class-based OO, for reasons passing understanding), and carries a similar (to Java), odd, `mostly-OO' approach. JS is easy to figure out how to use right, but most tutorials and scripts out there use it completely wrong and in a very broken way.

Hope that answers your question :-)

Remove Ads