Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi i need some help from someone who has experience in web design.

I have just created my own simple website and here is the subdomain http://sitesellproducts.bravehost.com

I only used HTML not css or any other language.

The problem i am having is i can view my website in the mozilla firefox browser i have the latest version firefox 2.

Now when i try viewing the site in internet explorer 6 it displays the site differently because the banner at the top of my site should be centered but internet explorer displays it to the left.

View my site in different browsers to see the problem for yourself.

My question is can someone explain to me in the most simplest and easy to understand terms because i am still new to this

How do you create a website that will view the same way in each browser?

I want my website to work in mozilla firefox, internet explorer, netscape, opera and on the mac OS etc.

Member #
    Use align=center attribute instead of <center> tag

Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    Use neither, really, and learn CSS. It doesn't really help your current situation, but you'll find that by separating your style from your markup, it becomes far easier to control for situations just like this.

There's no foolproof way of making code that renders identically in all major browsers, but by using semantic code without layouts that get too elaborate, you can get really close.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    I do know some CSS but i read on www.w3schools.com or on google that using css to center won't work in internet explorer.

I will try align=center.

I also went on www.W3.org to try validating my site and 11 validation errors occured.

As w3.org is like the standard for the web maybe if i correct the errors my site should work ok in the common browsers like firefox, explorer, opera, netscape etc.

ljm
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    You will soon come to realise that IE is your worst enemy when it comes to creating a website. Standards compliance is something you should strive to achieve, because the benefits to yourself will be great, but IE doesn't really follow them too well. CSS in particular is a troublesome one.

Using CSS to centre your layout does work in IE, you just need to centre the text aswell.

Don't believe that getting no errors on the W3C validators will mean your site works everywhere, though.

Member #
    You must learn CSS to learn web design - it's not an optional language.

A validated site doesn't always mean it looks perfectly the same, as ljm said. Microsoft didn't adhere very well to the w3c when IE 6 came out, and since a huge amount of users use that, it's not uncommon for hacks and the sort to be used.

I'll suggest you to HTML Dog, where I learned my CSS.
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    So what is the answer to get your website viewed the same in the most common browsers like firefox, internet explorer, opera & netscape etc.

Is the answer to learn css?

If it is i will learn it from www.w3schools.com

Member #
    Can someone give me the full code of centering an image using css?

Remove Ads