Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I'm either facing the longest period of designers block or a mild form of retardation. Or perhaps it is just a personal issue? Maybe, with your help, I can figure it out.

I have had my domain name for years now it was always my intention to build it up as a portfolio and showcase site that showed well when an employer found it. My biggest problem, is that I turned out to be my own nightmare client. I can't figure out what I want. I've gone through several graphical designs, all of them pleased me until I came back to it a few days later. I can't come up with visual elements that represent me, I can't think of anything and it is frustrating. I see plenty of things I like on other sites but then I just feel like I'm copycatting.

I'm trying to get on top of my field but I'm finding myself getting discouraged instead, everything I can think of has been done.

Do you have any insight into your design process or how you figured out how to represent yourself in your site that may help me?
    Go n-ithe an cat thu is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    I went through an extended period of designers' block a few years ago. In my case, it was caused by 2 things:
    1. Creative Resource Atrophic Palsy (CRAP) - a condition brought on by lack of use of the "creative mind". It's a palsy because it effectively freezes up that part of your brain that is capable of creatie thinking, and it's atrophic because the longer you sit in CRAP, the weaker your design muscles get! The way to get over this is just make something! Then make something else! Go see what other people are making and copy them. Yeah, it's "cheating", but it's exercise for your brain, and you have to get your brain in shape before running a design marathon!

2. Schematic Termination by Obsessive Perfectionism (STOP) - STOP will bring you to a screeching halt. Most OCD designers get STOP when they have themselves as a client, because nothing short of perfection will do. I got over stop by implementing a GO (Get Over-it!) strategy and telling myself that I would first create a "temporary" portfolio and replace it with a permanent "better" one when I had time. The temporary one is still up, and most client think it looks nice.

Hope this helps! :-D

Member #
    I began my designer's block ages back, and haven't really gotten out of it. One thing I realized is that, even though it's hard, it's possible to come up with a design, still. For one thing, I've been promoted from a regular designer to head of design of my college's newsletter club this year. I still can't figure out a good web layout and colour scheme, but on printed matter I can pretty much hold my thing now I guess (and hope). Just keep trying. Never give up. It'll come in due time, and effort.
    Hyperair

Member #
    Same goes for me... just do this. Make one design, and resolutely fill it in to the point it becomes FUNCTIONAL. Kick yourself if necessary to make sure you don't restart. Just make sure it gets to the functional point, then you can do anything you want.
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Remove Ads