Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Alright, I'm an intermediate wedesigner and I've been using Microsoft Frontpage for the last few years. I know basic HTML and how to make decent sites with Frontpage. For the longest time I've been trying to get a decent navigation bar up that stays put while you browse through other pages. I was looking at other sites, and I found exactly what I've been trying to create on this page.

http://www.bowserbasher.com/index.php

The guy says he used Dreamweaver along with CSS and PHP. Basically, it looks like he can edit just one page and the navigation bar will automatically be updated onto every page of his site.

So, my question is, how can I recreate what he's done? Can it be done with Frontpage? If someone could explain it to me I'd be grateful. I've never used CSS before so I may need to read some beginner tutorials. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-SuperBanjo

Member #
    First off, Frontpage is junk. It doesn't (to my knowledge) support CSS, and generates a bunch of unnecessary code. So, my first suggestion would be to switch Dreamweaver, or another editor. Second, would be to learn CSS, especially lists, which is what you should use for navigation, especially something like that. Third, from what you described, he used a PHP Include for his navigation, and if that is the case, then yes, if you edit one file, every page that uses the include of that file will be updated when you upload it.
    Portfolio | Blog | Twitter

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by -chris-
    First off, Frontpage is junk. It doesn't (to my knowledge) support CSS, and generates a bunch of unnecessary code. So, my first suggestion would be to switch Dreamweaver, or another editor. Second, would be to learn CSS, especially lists, which is what you should use for navigation, especially something like that. Third, from what you described, he used a PHP Include for his navigation, and if that is the case, then yes, if you edit one file, every page that uses the include of that file will be updated when you upload it.
    Alright, I was thinking about switching to Dreamweaver for a while now. Guess it's time I take action. Are there any decent tutorials you could point me in the direction of?

Member #
    Karinne's list of CSS tutorials

Php Includes:
    PHP Code:
    <?php
    include ('somedir/somefile.ext');
    ?>
    Create a file (I use a simple .txt file) that you want to be included in your page, making sure to include all HTML, so that the text included is styled. Replace 'somedir/somefile.ext' in the code above with the path to your file.
    Portfolio | Blog | Twitter

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

Member #
    Actually, don't switch to Dreamweaver. Go to a text-based editor - I use Notepad++. Learn plain XHTML and CSS, plus PHP for more advanced things.Trust me, you'll love knowing the cogs behind your work.
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Steax
    Actually, don't switch to Dreamweaver.
    What's wrong with Dreamweaver?

Member #
    For me, because it has too many features that are actually unnecessary. Using a free text-based editor is minus a few features, but it does pretty much the same, if you're learning to handwrite code.
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    DW is fine if you stick to code view. I use it and love it. There are alot of features in DW that are time savers for me.
    [a web design portfolio - Currently NOT AVAILABLE for work | web design | Re-coding | PSD-to-HTML]
    I'm also on: virb - facebook - twitter - flickr - del.icio.us

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    The problem with Dreamweaver for a beginner is that it encourages you to use the visual tools, which are bad as with all other visual tools. Using a plain-text editor gets rid of that temptation and lets you focus on producing wonderfully clean, fabulously semantic code

Member #
    Hello all,
    This is actually my first post here so I hope it is helpful.

I agree with Shadowfiend on this one. When I first started learning web design I didn't pay any attention to the code behind the scene. However when I started to want more from my design and was being limited by the Programs I used I tried to turn to the code. It was a real mess. for a while I tried to just modify code that was created by those programs but that is both messy and tiedious. I stopped using any other program other than Notepad for about 6 months. I learned XHTML, CSS, and some JavaScript. I just recently purchased Dreamweaver. Bottom line: Yes Dreamweaver is nice with it's features, and the fact it maintains clean code, But trying to learn THE CODE you need to do it yourself. Memorize it by doing it over and over again. You will be glad you did.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads