Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Hey everyone, im interested in designing a website, I have Adobe Web Premiere which comes with Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Flash etc, all the tools needed, im just not sure which one to use first any help = appreciated.

Member #
    Liked
    760 times
    You'll create your graphics with something like PhotoShop.
    You'll create the actual website (XHTML/CSS etc) with Dreamweaver.

Come up with a plan ...

1) What will the site be about? content content content.
    2) What will it look like? graphics, colors, size, positioning.
    3) How will it be created? Using XHTML, CSS and no tables.
    4) See step 1. That's the most important.

Member #
    That is a much better explaination than what I had typed out, but I want to suggest that you NEVER use the "Save for Web" feature in Photoshop, or the "Design View" only in Dreamweaver.

Content is king! (You will see that said a lot around here.)
    Portfolio | Blog | Twitter

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by -chris-
    I want to suggest that you NEVER use the "Save for Web" feature in Photoshop
    Why?

Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    It creates crap code.

WYSIWYG tools are garbage at producing semantic code, meaning code that describes your content's structure rather than its appearance. I've used Dreamweaver for years, and in recent months, I have never--not once--used the Design view. I can create much more capable and flexible code than Dreawmeaver, ImageReady, etc.

In fact, the only time I ever use Photoshop's Save for Web feature, which I actually do use often, is to save specific parts of a PSD in specific formats. However, especially if you're starting out, never use a WYSIWYG editor like Dreamweaver's Design view.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Well since it's my first site i believe im going to make a resource page for renewable energy sources (like wind,hydro,solar)? Does this sound OK?

Member #
    Sounds great. Let me give you a simple, step-by-step future-proof method:

1. Learn basic HTML. Learn headers, paragraphs, links, lists, etc.
    2. Write out your content area in its text form, marked up in HTML.
    3. Learn CSS, and try styling up your HTML.
    4. Learn CSS layouting, and try giving menus/banners/backgrounds to your site.

Good luck!

(I might want to inform you that having a large range of web production tools is actually, in my opinion, more trouble than worth. I work with just Firefox, Notepad++, and Fireworks at hand. Having many tools means more integration and more chances you mess up somewhere.)
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    Liked
    760 times
    That sounds like it might be an interesting topic.

With energy resources, decide right away if it's going to be aimed more at
    home do-it-yourselfers, or aimed more at "businesses", here's where you purchase
    existing energy systems (that are usually larger and more expensive).

I personally would be interested in building some sort of kits for home use ...
    the materials, electronics, mechanisms, forms for state and federal rebates, etc.
    Something the average middle-class guy could afford, along with good instructions.

My opinion ... your site should travel down a certain road and not be too general.

Pick a target audience, and pick something that isn't already "beat to death".
    That would make it really interesting to read (again, it's all content).

As far as getting the site made ... see Steax's post.

And with all that ... keep us posted on your progress using this forum.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    [a web design portfolio - Currently NOT AVAILABLE for work | web design | Re-coding | PSD-to-HTML]
    I'm also on: virb - facebook - twitter - flickr - del.icio.us

Member #
    Liked
    39 times
    It is possible to make a website in dreamweaver and still being coded cleanly, but its hard, and you must know dreamweaver inside and out. Its just easier to hand code. I strongly suggest using the tutorials from htmldog.com. You might as while learn CSS, and htmldog teaches CSS too.

Ok, you got an idea of what the content is going to be, now sketch out on a paint program what your website might look like. You could use all sorts of programs. Since you got CS3, you could use Photoshop, Illustrator, Fireworks, Flash or free programs like gimp, inkscape, etc. My personal favourite is a mix of Flash, and then Photoshop for touch ups. I personal like that starting off with a vector base program (such as Flash, Illustrator, InkScape) is best, then for the stuff you can't do in vector graphics, use an advanced bitmap base program such as Photoshop, or Gimp.

Once you got your design done, then use the picture as a reference, and try to make an HTML/CSS version.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads