Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    First of all, do they really do that?

I found a design firm looking for production assistants this summer. Not applying for the money (although I'm glad its a PAID internship!) but more for the experience. My goal is to phase out my freelancing and work for several companies because I want my resume and portfolio to show more than just projects I did for several clients.

This company expects people to know a fair level of CSS, RSS, HTML, Dreamweaver, ectera..none of the heavy stuff like PHP. But I expect that even with my 2 years of experience they will ask questions or ask if I could demonstrate my skills.

What do you think they'd want me to do? I will admit that working predominately with Flash and CSS has steered me away from Javascript functions and pop-up windows.

Thanks.

P.S: The last post I made about integrated marketing was very stupid..I should've simply googled it.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I've found with interviews for jobs that are for HTML, CSS stuff, they seem to look more at your portfolio, but it does depend on the company. But, they will probably also ask general questions like "What's the difference between POST and GET?" (they ALL seem to ask that!) or "What happens when you click on a link?" or "What is DOCTYPE?" etc. so you should probably make sure you know all those little details and stuff. It is possible that they may ask you how you would code up a certain page. In an interview I had once, they showed me an already-made HTML page and asked me how I would code it up, and had me write out the code on a piece of paper. Like all the divs and css and everything.
    choosy developers choose gif!
    website | paintings | blog

Member #
    For some reason, in (the few) interviews I've watched, the "in-house web-know-it-all" always asks you tricky questions, which, annoyingly for me, are often impossible to answer without checking a reference. But so far, I get many questions regarding my web development style (because I'm pretty different from the rest of 'em around my area), and usually another peek at my portfolio, they ask how I did this and that, what my intentions and recommendations were, etc.

But all in all, it always seems to boil down to portfolios.
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Depends, really. Design jobs will typically ask you that, yes. Development jobs that have XHTML/CSS components might ask you more conceptual questions. My interview for the job I'm currently holding involved questions on how Javascript works, its object/inheritance model, how that compares to Java, etc, as well as some questions about CSS like display styles, sprites, and other such things.

Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    For my current job, I had to provide past code samples, and right after the interview, I had to cut up a site in XHTML right there.

Obviously, it depends entirely on the company and position.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    If you've graduated from a recognizable college or have past work experience at another web design firm then that might be all you need.

------------

Affordable web design

Arizona web site design

Member #
    Definitely will they be asking you the difference of post and get. I wasn't able to land the job when they asked me that question. I was thinking of a different post and get. Anyway, they might also test you on how you slice a design and definetly how to make a psd to html code especially with hard designs with so many gradients. By the way, if they ask when you can start, always say "now". I landed a web dev job for 4 hours.

Remove Ads