Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi i am having a go at designing my own website because i am training myself to become a web designer.

The problem i am having is when you create your site and it is finished how do you test your website on different browsers and operating systems when you only have 1 machine?

Does anyone have a solution to this problem?

Another question i have is if you test your site in 1 browser and it does not work in another how do you solve this problem?

I created my site to view in the latest version of firefox and tried viewing it in Internet Explorer 6.

The problem that occured was that my site displayed fine in firefox and displayed differently in Internet Explorer 6.

Does anyone have a solution to this problem?

I would really be greatful for any help.

Rafeeq Ibrahim

Member #
    Browser testing is pretty easy in itself on a specific OS Platform...so if you use Windows, you should be able to get a recent version of most of the popular browsers installed on your PC with little difficulty to test yourself (IE, Firefox, Opera, etc). If you aren't a Mac user, it can be tough to get testing done on browsers like Safari. That would be something you would likely have to patch after the site is live if you have no way of testing it. Either that, or prior to going live...create a simple test page that reflects your sites overall layout, put in some dummy content, and come to a site forum like this and request people to try to "break it" so you can patch accordingly before going live.

Reasons where IE would display a page different from Firefox include a number of variables. One is the version you're using and how it supports your method of coding. If you're using CSS, it's notorius for creating cross-browser issues to newer coders. If you're having issues like this, the best thing to do is scour your code, and check for any abnormalities. I would suggest using a modified notepad style text editor that identifies CSS and HTML (like AceHTML...it's free and you can download it from download.com), which will help you locate possible missing tags and syntax errors. Usually it's something simple, like missing a closing tag, or not "properly" coding a set of tags or their related CSS identifiers.

You can always use www.w3schools.com site-testing features as well, they'll give you a detailed breakdown of code problems simply by you providing your sites main URL and it will crawl your sites code. This will be a huge help in getting started with troubleshooting. Good luck!
    Owner - http://www.project-guild.com (in development)

Member #
    www.browsershots.org A great little tool that you should bookmark.
    Portfolio | Blog | Twitter

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

Remove Ads