Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hey,
    Ok so the idea im having came from an old apple program that managed files and folders bu i cant find the documentation on it.
    Basically theres a structure of files to access (all pdf's) that are in a style like this...

HOME
    ________|________
    | | |
    Folder Folder Folder
    | | |
    _____ ____ _____
    | | | | | |
    File File File File File File

Ok so it's like a tree structure however its not displayed like that.
    Picture a floating bubble in teh centre of your screen, the you click on it and more bubbles appear around it, then once you clikc on one of those bubbles it pans over to that section and more bubbles appear around it and so on until you're at the final directory level.

I've probably just confused everyone about it, i know i've confuse dmyself and i just need some help getting a handle on how i get started.

Thanks in advance!

Member #
    Liked
    756 times
    This sounds like a good Flash application to me.

Find a good Flash forum and re-ask your question.
    Another option would be AJAX, with a mix of PHP and Javascripting.

And ... I'm also not sure if you're talking about an internet application
    or a file application local to your PC (Like an .exe file).

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    It sounds like you're talking about something like a radial menu. It should be doable both in plain' ol' XHTML+CSS+JS, but also in Flash. In this case, which you use is up to you, as neither seems more well-suited to the task than the other.

Member #
    i was hoping to leave flash out of the equation here and just do it purely with ajax and Javascript and php.
    I really want to acheive a floating "in space" feel to it, not sure if thats possible in ajax etc...
    Come to tink of it, McDonalds australia website (www.mcdonalds.com.au) have a great example in there broadband version, thought its done in flash and im trying to steer clear of that, and it's a little overdone i think.
    Any links off to resources would be great, and yes Shadowfiend a radial menu is very similar to what i want to achieve, its just getting a grip on inplementing it i guess?
    Thanks!

Member #
    Oh and also it will be ran from a disc, so basically an offline webpage i guess? with the option to put it on your computer and run locally.
    cheers

Member #
    Liked
    756 times
    What happens when you have a folder (or directory) with like 200 files in it?
    What does the screen look like with 200 icon bubbles floating around?

This doesn't seem like it would be very easy to use.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    That McDonald's thing is pretty shiny. Looks like a combo of a zoomable user interface and a radial menu.

Member #
    It really isn't too hard, as long as its done properly. To create it single-handedly requires some good knowledge of JS and trigonometry, I've tried this before in the Sphere game engine (which uses JS too).
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    Thanks so far on the help,
    Mlseim, for the project there will never be over aroudn 15-20 max files in each folder. So that wont be an issue, also considering they are all in sub folders aswell this should, in a way, rule out that problem.
    If any one has any links off to any Ajax resources that would give me a start on this could they please link? I've done a little in ajax but am still getting a grip on that so it should be a good learning experience to give it a shot.
    Thanks!

Remove Ads