Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Hello. I am new to all of this so please forgive me for any mistakes I may make.
    I am coming to this site to try and find out some information regarding Web Design training/qualifications. I spent two of my previous working years as a graphic design junior, and thoroughly enjoyed doing so. I am hoping to get back into the design industry and feel that Web Design may be the way for me to go.
    What I really need to know is what kind of training or qualification I should be thinking of attaining. I do work full time so it has to be a distance learning course that I can complete in my own time. What appears to be my best option at present is a 'Master CIW Designer' course with CIW (Certified Internet Webmaster).
    Can anybody tell me what, if anything, is known about this course/qualification, and is it worth persuing? Are there any kind of industry recognised courses or anything else that would of more benefit? Any help or information that I get on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    For straight up web design, most people will advise you to skip certification or whatever and just get straight to learning it on your own. Practice and a portfolio are really what gets you jobs in the business, so that should help more than just a course.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowfiend
    For straight up web design, most people will advise you to skip certification or whatever and just get straight to learning it on your own. Practice and a portfolio are really what gets you jobs in the business, so that should help more than just a course.
    +1

Totally agree. I don't know 1 design company that asks for a certification when hiring ... they just want to see a portfolio.

So .. get a domain and some hosting and start creating that porfolio
    [a web design portfolio - Currently NOT AVAILABLE for work | web design | Re-coding | PSD-to-HTML]
    I'm also on: virb - facebook - twitter - flickr - del.icio.us

Member #
    There is a firm here in town that requires a college/university degree. That is the only thing keeping me from applying (I called, and they really are looking for college grads).

But that isn't to say that every firm will ask for a college degree.
    Portfolio | Blog | Twitter

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Yes, but are they asking for a college degree for you to do web design or web development? I don't doubt that many places require a college degree for web development, it's web design where it's less useful.

Member #
    Design
    Portfolio | Blog | Twitter

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

Member #
    You will find some companies that require a degree in design/development, yes.
    In my experience, they are few and far between.

When I hire developers that LAST thing I look at is their degree. I look at their portfolio and then in interviewing them, see what their personality is like and then the typical corporate interview process. Reliability, knowledge, etc.

I know in most cases some companies want a degree (in anything) but sometimes a portfolio can go a long way (more than a degree).
    GMan

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Weird... What kind of degree are they looking for? (Most [well-known] colleges and universities that I know of in the US don't really have any sort of design degree available.)

Member #
    I've seen those "certified" internet or web design things and most are online.
    They are ridiculous. They charge you an arm and a leg and you can learn the same stuff (if not more) by going to Barnes & Noble and getting a design/development book.

Heck, if you are 1/2 a designer, you can probably make your own degree!
    GMan

Member #
    Add my vote. I seriously think that instead of a few years to get a new certification stuff, its a lot better to make the ten or so sites you can make... and get money out of it.
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads