Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    XcellenceIT team has a question and I decided I should help them by posting the question. Here goes:
    Everybody knows that Google is a leader in search engines. But Yahoo! search engine comes right behind him.
    Besides my natural question: since all my acquaintances use Google, who are those using Yahoo! search engine after all? , I have another question:
    Is it worth it putting efforts in improving for Yahoo! search engine? Google has Sitemaps, Yahoo! has Site Explorer, but is it worth the time to have your web site inserted in both?
    OK, you have to make your web site as much W3C-friendly as you can. But Yahoo! search engine friendly?

Frankly, I don't think it's worth the time, but I'm looking for a second opinion.

Any feed-back on this will be greatly appreciated.
    Cratima helps you build your company website.
    Visit us: www.cratima.com
    International Web Design

Member #
    Liked
    142 times
    Short answer: There's a good reason they're not third...
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    I just say: Don't try to design "Search-Engine Friendly". Make it human-friendly, and if it is good enough, it will make it on all search engines. Just play fair!
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    Thank you Wired and Steax for the input.

Good point: we should focus on visitors, not on search engines.

Great tip!
    Cratima helps you build your company website.
    Visit us: www.cratima.com
    International Web Design

Member #
    You're welcome.

And that point is very true - Search Engines grab visitors anyway; what good are search engines if those visitors don't stay?
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Moreover, remember, just five or six years ago, Google was a nobody. The time it takes for the stakes to change completely in the world of computing can be thirty years (Microsoft) or a few months (Google vs Yahoo). And the Internet is a particularly fast domain.

Nonetheless, as Steax said, the important thing is to focus on building a great website. There are certain things you can do while doing that that will help your rankings, but they're usually a good idea anyway (take, for example, using semantic XHTML). As per Teddy Roosevelt, "If you build it, they will come." (Not always true, especially on the intarwubs, but hey, whatever.)

Remove Ads