Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I want to continue my education and get a degree. It's not too late to apply for a scholarship to help pay for classes even though it would be easier to get a loan. (and then worry, worry about paying it off later)

But even if I prevent from using my savings for education, there is still the matter of work. Right now I work a 30 hour part-time retail job and I hate it because it's physically demanding and it's far away from admin and web design, which I am experienced in. I need a better job, but there aren't any legitimate part-time admin/web jobs in the city I'm located in. However there are some full-time gigs and so I'd like to know:

If you've work full-time, on-site at a web design company for a couple of months in good standing, will they give you the opportunity to decrease your hours for school purposes?

It seems like a long shot. I can't get into freelancing, because I need a paycheck every week for food and other necessities.

Thanks

Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    Most companies will let you take a somewhat smaller workweek if you still work a useful number of hours to them and you still clearly intend to work for them (i.e., you're there for a likely long-term position). However, two months might not be enough time to prove to them that you're worthy of it; you would need more time, I suspect, to convince them that they should keep you on at less hours versus hiring a new person full-time.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    The other thing to look at is what your degree will be in. Is it going to benefit the company in anyway? Meaning in web design?
    Plus, what is your commitment to the company after you get your degree? Most people that earn a degree go out and shop that around in the market.
    Afterall, you probably will be worth more after your degree. Is the current company going to pay you for that?

How loyal can you be to a company after 60 days? And......how loyal should they be to you?
    I agree that it is too short a period of time to really prove anything to them. After all, it is only 40 days of work.

As a business owner, I would be concerned if I hired someone who wanted to go back to school and ask for me to cut their hours after a couple of months.
    This is something that should be brought up in the interview process. Let the owner know and evaluate the situation and let him figure out if that is a road he wants to pursue.
    GMan

Member #
    I agree that this is something you should run by your potential employer in the intial interview. She might get quite concerned if you suddenly decide to cut back and go to school. Plus, lots of companies don't even offer part time hours. This is something you need to consder.
    Christina Van Dyke

CRV Designs
    Apex, NC
    www.crv-designs.com

Remove Ads