Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I'm setting up a site for my distributors to use in doing business with my company. The folders where this site are located are password protected on the server side. When I set up pages within the folders, then try to access them through a browser, I'm able to access the index.html page, but then when I try to navigate to other pages within the site, I'm prompted for the username and password again. If I hit cancel several times, I can get through to the target page, but not if I enter the username and password. Ideally, I'd like the dialogue to come up only once, and give the user access to all the files in the folder after they log in. Any suggestions?
    Cheers,

K.

Member #
    Liked
    756 times
    What kind of files are these?

I'm thinking that if you used PHP sessions, you could control
    what directories they are accessing by having them log-in and
    setting a session variable.

Of course, the very best thing would be to use a MySQL database
    to store files securely ... and access again would be by a member
    registration thing (using sessions).

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hmm... Are you sure you don't have every directory .htaccessed? If so, you might want to try getting rid of the .htaccess files everywhere but the top-level directory.

Member #
    Thanks everyone for your good comments. I wound up going into the server control panel and re-indexing the relevant directory from "Default System Setting" to "Fancy Indexing (graphics)". This cleared up the issue in Internet Explorer, but in Firefox, I'm being prompted for a login when I move from page to page again. All the pages involved are stored under the same directory in this case, so there's only one .htaccess file involved.
    I like the sound of the MySQL solution mlseim suggested. However, I'm a sales guy, really, and very new to Web development. Could you point me in the direction of a MySQL for dummies-type site?
    Thanks, both for being so helpful!

Member #
    Update: the issue now seems to have resolved itself with Mozilla as well. Thank you for your help.

Remove Ads