Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I have a website I'd like to distribute to a client on CD. I have made all the links local so it will run anywhere and doesn't need to be online.

I don't particularly want any "Johnny" being able to open Explorer and view the sites files.

So, if possible, I'd like and program that will bundle all the files into a single .exe file that when run will extract all the website files into a win temp directory and show the viewer the website in their default browser. (not worried bout Mac at this early stage)

Is there a simple application that will do this??

Thanks
    Epoc

Member #
    Liked
    142 times
    that's futile, as they can just check out the files within the temp directory

if you just want to show a client a website, show them a screenshot of it, or show them the site on a laptop / PC that you control.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Simple application, probably no. The question is, why? Websites run locally are not designed to be secure. An application that works that was is probably straightforward, but it's not efficient.

I just don't see why you'd want this... there's really no point to do so.
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    Your client doesn't have web access? You can control things much better from a web site than on a CD.

Member #
    You really should give more info.........based on what you are saying:
    1) It makes no sense
    2) If you are a designer/developer then this really makes no sense
    3) It will just confuse potential clients

More info as to why would help......
    GMan

Member #
    Thanks for all the positive input :disappointed:

FWIW, I have created a HTML Virtual Tour using formats like Q/T, Flash and Java. It currently runs fine online. The client wants to be able to distribute the Tour on CD. I wanted a "little" security.

Does this help??

Member #
    And what advantage does this extra security bring?
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Remove Ads