Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Good day,

At this time I am just starting out developing web sites.
    What I am wondering is this:
    If I'm using a free host (in this case www.awardspace.com)
    and reserving a domain for the site that I am working on, and only dealing with Javascriptscript, DHTLM and HTML.
    How much should I charge for the fee to build the site?
    And a small monthly fee to update the site?

In anycase
    thank you for your help
    --Joshua

Member #
    It really depends... hosting it wouldn't be very expensive. Your design determines fee, and so does complexity. But about updating... does that mean you do it? Thats not a good thing, really, and can be expensive. If you've got your own host, then just use a server-side language to get a CMS or something.
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    While there are a number of variables that help determine price, there are really two factors that I commonly see.

1) Is your skill set an ability. The more experience you have, the better your design/development skills, the bigger your portfolio (and showing a wide range of skill set) you can command more of a price when selling your self/services.

2) The other common one is your market. What do you see from other designers who showcase the same skills as you? For instance, in my market you see rates of $45-$65 an hour as an average, yet you drive 40 minutes north and you see $75-$125 prices being quoted (and getting them).

Your best bet is to shop other competitors in your area and see what they are charging for similar projects.
    Yes, there are many, many other factors that go into setting price (the level of skill, the size of the project, the customer's budget, etc).

I can only guess from your post that you don't have a lot of experience, you don't have a big portfolio, your skill set may not be as strong (no mention of CSS, PHP, etc etc), plus you are asking about hosting and maintenance.........I apologize if I read that wrong, but initially that would tell me you are new, or lack experience.

Lastly, maintaining the site goes directly to what it is you are maintaining. How much work is involved, how often, etc........that will determine how much to charge.

My best advice is still to shop local competitors and get your pricing nailed down (and a contract!).

Good luck.....
    GMan

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    If you're just starting out, charge between $400-800 to build the site and $30-50 a month for a few hours of work making updates.

Member #
    I'd say that's about right mr. moseley, but I would charge on an hourly basis monthly based on the requests of the client for updates. That way picky clients don't run you into the ground practically free of charge... For a new designer maybe $20 an hour? Hourly kind of depends where you are geographically though, use your best judgement.

Member #
    Liked
    142 times
    Welcome to 2 years ago Good info though.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    760 times
    Joshua,
    Build a site that "they" update themselves (the content).
    Use PHP/MySQL, either custom build, or use an existing system
    like WordPress. Let them worry about the content. You charge
    them a one-time fee for the website.

Remove Ads