Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I've recently started posting ads on Craigslist and have received a few good responses. I'm broke and really need another source of income. One person that I've been emailing back and forth has an odd situation and she's asking me for a bid. I am not quite sure how to go about this whole thing either.

She wants me to re-build her website (WiseEssentials.com so that it is more Search Engine Optimized (SEO) and add more products. She sent me a single SQL file that doesn't open in OpenOffice and probably doesn't in anything else. She also sent me the root folder of her website. It seems there are no webpages just a PHP file that connects to a database. Apparently the website was started but never finished. Should I just start over? Things seem a little iffy to me.

One other note. This website will include a "content management, shopping cart, database for newsletter and back end editor". This is what she has asked for.

How should I go about that situation? Also, I am wondering how everyone else goes about bidding their jobs and how you go about getting payment once you're done. Or do you get payed first? Do you send them a contract? I'd appreciate any input and advice. Thanks.
    - flipjargendy

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    I suggest either using Joomla or Drupal. Both have content management, e-commerce, and newsletter capabilities built-in, are Open Source, integrate with popular merchant accounts, are easily templated, and have large support communities and online documentation behind them.

Member #
    I would start over. That website isn't visually exciting as is.
    Portfolio | Blog | Twitter

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

Member #
    First, you should have your business "plan" in place.
    Ok, so you are doing this as a side gig, so you don't have a full business plan? You should still have a plan in place.

First, you should have a contract. I always recommend that you go see an attorney, but since you don't have the funds, find one on the net and customize it for your needs.

I always tell people that they should get 50% down and the other 50% on publishing to the web.
    This way you are never out all of the money. It also offers the customer protection in that they don't lose all their money to someone who doesn't finish the job.
    It protects everybody involved.

What she is asking for is pretty detailed stuff, so make sure you put exactly what she wants (and that you both have agreed upon).
    That way if she changes her mind or wants to add something you can charge accordingly.

I've seen some web designers who have cut and run and not finished a product (thank you by the way to them). But, at the same time, make sure she isn't difficult.
    Set the expectation up front with her, get it in writing, get a deposit and then get to work.

Yes, I think a redesign might help. She seems more concerned with functionality, yes that is important......but let her know her site needs to look good to for people to want to stay and look at it.

Good luck.....
    GMan

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Er... The SQL file doesn't open in openoffice? Of course not... SQL is plain text O_O

Member #
    I'm glad to hear about getting 50% down. That's what I was planning and wasn't sure if it was standard in Webdesign.

I finally found a demo of the website in the "libraries" folder that she sent me. None of the links for the shopping cart or checkout work. Also, i do not think any of the product pages have been designed. I'd probably have to do those. I thought I'd have to do the entire site before and was going to charge about $400 for everything. She already has a domain name and server set up. All the images are made. All i had to do was build the website.

She does have a Content Management System. So far she hasn't told me which one.

How would you guys charge her?
    - flipjargendy

Member #
    Stick with your price then. You will still have to incorporate some design elements into it.
    Plus, you don't know what you will have to recode or re-do.

G
    GMan

Member #
    That $400 is what i quoted her for everything. Originally she asked me to do a little coding to make it SEO so I quoted her at $210. Now i'm unsure how to go about this.

This lady is very hard to follow and is not making things clear. So things could change again. I might just give up on this job and hope for some more calls.
    - flipjargendy

Member #
    Which is why you get it in writing (what she wants you to do).

I'm sorry, but you are the obstacle here, not her. It is your job to get the information from her, to set the expecations (as far as time it will take and price you will charge).
    Having it in writing is to protect you from having her add on other things, change her mind or come back and say "this is what I wanted".

If you pass on this project and hold out for the next one, what will you do if you run into the same situation next time? Keep passing until you find one that is "easy"?

Customers rely on a web designer/developer to help educate them on what it is they need. Yes, some think they know what they need (and some do) but at the same time it is YOUR JOB to educate them on the process.

I have run across many customers that aren't educated on the process of developing the site and guess what? They are the ones who "aren't making themselves clear".
    You have to probe, understand their needs and listen to what they want.
    Then, put it in writing and go from there.

Do the job, don't do the job.........but don't keep going back and forth. You had two people here advise you what to charge. You were advisded to collect some money down.
    At what point are you going to go back to the customer and understand her needs?

Plus, you put the link on here and you don't even have things in place. Anyone could easily underbid you on it.
    The biggest thing is that someone could go to this customer and do what you should have been doing (educating her, listening to her needs, and showing her what a professional does).

Good luck whichever way you decide!
    GMan

Member #
    You're right. I guess I just haven't dealt with people who don't know much about how a website works for a while. I am not dropping the job. I talked to her last night and educated her a bit on a few things she wasn't understanding. We came to the conclusion that she needs to start from scratch.

She had trouble with the last designers, they were taking too long, she said. She decided to stop dealing with them. That is why the website is unfinished. All they did was setup the layout of the index page and that wasn't even finished. I told her it would be best to start from scratch since they wrote their own CMS and it wasn't very good. I looked up the CMS and it was under the GPL but she said they charged her for it.

I will get a contract made up, the way it was mentioned above, and send it out to her.

Thanks for all the input everyone.
    - flipjargendy

Remove Ads