Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Help required

Member #
    Hello
    First post here so please excuse if it's in the wrong place. I'm looking for a few pieces of information so I hope someone can help.
    I'm actually writing on behalf of my g/f who lives in the Philippines. I'm currently paying for her to go to a college in Cebu for a "Web Application Design" course.
    It started 10 days ago and was supposed to cover everything from HTML, through Dreamweaver, Javascript and ASP and beyond. Or so the brochures said!! So far, on 3 days no teachers have shown up, and out of 6 days schooling they say that only one will be spent on her chosen subject.
    I'm no web design expert, or even beginner for that matter, but I bought her a laptop for her studies and some "Teach yourself visually" books for subjects like HTML and Dreamweaver which she picked up very quickly. I will probably take her out of this college at the end of the sememster in December and try and get her to study at home as she cannot come to America until early 2009. My problem with her studying at home is, giving her the right direction to move in and the correct study materials and not having assignments to complete or someone to correct her mistakes.
    So, I am wondering does anyone know of any online courses, where there is some form of tutoring and teaching which she would be able to enrol in that will help her in this particular field. I found a website called lynda .com which gives plenty of advice but again, no actual tutoring or course advice.
    Also, what would be the natural progression say after HTML and then Dreamweaver and Flash?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated
    Thank you
    Martin

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I wouldn't say Flash should be in that progression. Nor, for that matter, does Dreamweaver necessarily have to be. There are three key technologies to know on the Internet:
    * (X)HTML
    * CSS
    * Javascript
    XHTML defines the structure of your website, CSS defines the layout and visual aspects of the website, and Javascript defines any additional decorational (and non-essential) behavior for your website. Once you've got those, you're on the right track.

As it happens, once you've got a solid grasp of Javascript, moving to Flash isn't as difficult, since Javascript and Flash's ActionScript are both based on the ECMAScript standard, so they are very very similar.

As for things to do, I find my best approach is to pick some random project and then just create it.

Member #
    Yup, especially with Web Application, usually nowadays they want JS. For all this stuff there really is no other learning method other than to dive straight in, look at other projects, and experiment.
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    Hello,
    I am in the process of putting an ebook together teaching beginners how to build a website. In this ebook I take you through the process designing the website in Adobe Photoshop and putting the website together in Macromedia Dreamweaver. I am halfway finished with this ebook which should be completed in the next day or so, and am planning on selling it for five dollars on ebay. After I finish this ebook I plan to put another one together that will be more advanced. This ebook will also cost five dollars. If you would like to see a sample of my work you can go to http://www.trophycenter.com. If you are interested you can email me at taymcc07@yahoo.com.

Member #
    Liked
    756 times
    Martin ...

Websites can be made on your PC and viewed locally with your browser.

But if you are able to use a credit card online, I recommend subscribing to
    a webhost that she can use to upload webpages. You can find one like
    this for only about $30.00 a year ... www.cleverdot.com

She can even come up with her own domain name.

I think you should get her an account so she can actually create real
    online websites. The space can be used for her own personal use, and
    for learning, uploading files, using FTP (like Filezilla), or Dreamweaver.

Future applications like PHP and MySQL.

The biggest asset to having a place to put webpages ... she can ask questions
    in a forum like this and actually show us what she is working on and what she
    is having problems with.

By the time she comes to America, she will most likely also have a blog on her
    own website ... something her family can view from overseas.

Remove Ads