Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Hi everyone i was hoping someone could give me some advice. im creating a webpage but im not sure the best way to go about it. i looked up some ways and found that i could create the webpage image then slice it and work on it in dreamweaver. I created the image of exactly how i want the site to look. im just not sure how to go about getting it to do what i want. im not even sure if slicing it is the best way to achieve what i want. Here is a pic of the site.
    Attachment 2733
    in the white box on the left is where i want the news to be and in the white box on the right is where i want all the other pages to open. say someone click on links i want it to open in the right box, or if someone clicks on contact us i want the contact form to open there also. you get the idea.

is there a better way to do this or is this the best way. also can anyone lend any info on how i would go about do what i just described with the pages opening in the boxes.

any advice would be great. this is the first time i ever made my own template based page, i usually work with premade temps. but i really want to make the site look just like the picture.

thanks so much in advance
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    If you want your right box to stay the way you have designed it without growing then the only way really is to use an iframe. This way users can scroll down content which spills over the set width and height.

If you don't mind the height changing then you can just have your content inserted into the page as usual

You will have to do some slicing otherwise user's will be loading up a massive image for the background.

If you have a set amount of news items with a set width and height then i see no problem with just having them float around freely as news items in the news box.

Finally you are aware that if you are creating a news publishing system then you will need to use php, asp or some other back end programming language?

Member #
    Liked
    760 times
    How big is the page?

By that I mean the image that will be the background.
    Dimension by width and height (in pixels).

I'm guessing you'll have two background images.
    One on the left half and one on the right half.

If you can create a CSS template with both images
    put together on one page, adding <iframe> for the
    right side will be quite easy. The left side will have
    a typical <div> with a background color of white.

Any links are then targetted to the <iframe>

It seems like you might want to do something similar
    to this site that I'm helping someone else work on:

http://www.becuteclothes.com/

Look at the HTML source on the main page (and the CSS file).

It uses an <iframe> to randomly display a main page photo,
    but anything could be put into that <iframe>.

Some people don't like <iframes> as they think it causes SEO
    problems. I personally think they're great and have never had
    any problems using them.

Just don't confuse <iframe> with <frame> ... the latter IS bad.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Perad
    If you want your right box to stay the way you have designed it without growing then the only way really is to use an iframe. This way users can scroll down content which spills over the set width and height.
    Surely you could also use a div with set height and width, and overflow set to scroll/auto/whatever? I suppose they both amount to much the same thing.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    overflow set to auto would likely be what you were looking for. I don't like iframes because they're more of a solution to the problem of `how can I avoid including my navigation on every page', and usually the answer to that is `server side includes', not iframes. Otherwise you offset the work onto the browser, and that's just not cool

Member #
    thank you all so much for the suggestions. iframes worked perfectly. i understand there are problems with them and some people just don't like them. but it worked perfect for what i wanted. so for now that's what im using. but once i have time im going to work on a better way to display everything.
    thank you all for the great tips, i really appreciate it

Cara

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    how does you use overflow in this situation? would like to learn...

iframe loads new info a page right?

when using iframes is it best to incorporate it with javascript to do it?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Well, you can use iframes without Javascript quite easily (give your iframe a name and set the target of your links to that name).

Overflow in this case would be used by simply creating a container in the body and giving it [minicode]overflow: auto;[/minicode]. Then, each page would contain the navigation and the appropriate content in that container with the overflow set on it. The disadvantage of this is that you have to repeat the navigation on every page; however, you can use server-side includes (via PHP or anything else) to eliminate that problem fairly easily by factoring the navigation out into a separate file and including it on every page.

Member #
    Liked
    760 times
    Punkitty ...

And give us a link to your actual site so we can see it.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    but say to have a "read more" link that would work good for an iframe , right? heres a link i found

tell me if u think these eamples are used the correct way

http://www.dyn-web.com/dhtml/iframes/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads