Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    A friend of mine does a bi-weekly radio show, and is looking for an audio & video player she can use on her website which all folks can actually see? It seems that when she uses a media player script, there are some folks who cannot see it.

She also wants to "protect" the files so that people can't download them.

I have given her a few of the player scripts that I know of, but was wondering if anyone knew of one that is pretty much universally displayed.
    Portfolio | Blog | Twitter

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

Member #
    It's impossible to absolutely protect them. They've been transfered and shown, the data is there and it can be taken. It's simply impossible.

As for the players... why not flash-based?
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    She knows that it would be impossible to completely protect them, but she wants to make it harder for folks to take them.

I hadn't even thought of flash-based. I had given her just about everything but.

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

Member #
    Well no matter what format you use, people using Firefox with the DownloadHelper plugin will probably be able to get to your video.

And most of the players now are using flash-based videos, because it gives best control over design. YouTube, Google Video, just about everyone uses Flash-based.
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    I don't think that many of her viewers will be using Firefox, much less with the DownloadHelper.

She is testing out a flash based player now. She had tried one earlier, but couldn't get it to work.

Member #
    Oh, but don't be surprised by how many people think "Hey, I like this video!" and runs off to a friend/family member who's a computer guy and can probably figure out how to do so in seconds.

Member #
    Yea. She knows that if someone really wants it, that they can figure out a way to get it, but for the average user, she wants to make it a tad difficult.

Member #
    Just keep in mind that if its a good show then people will want to get their hands on it. And if its really good, there's the possibility someone will rip them and post them for download elsewhere.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steax
    Just keep in mind that if its a good show then people will want to get their hands on it. And if its really good, there's the possibility someone will rip them and post them for download elsewhere.
    And that that's not necessarily a bad thing

Remove Ads