Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I'm trying my best to start over my www.inmobiz.com in a new, clean,
    template with a new clean (or rather - correct) CSS......

One thing I would like to add on the pages is a simple pair of buttons/arrows/whatever - for Previous - Next page.......
    I know every browser has it - but I would still like to add it to my pages

Anybody has a simple solution for me??
    Thanking you in advance
    newchance
    Protect your identity - Enroll here

Member #
    Liked
    142 times
    Do you want them to link to specific pages, or just do the EXACT same thing as the browser buttons?
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Wired
    Do you want them to link to specific pages, or just do the EXACT same thing as the browser buttons?
    Since I have the discount offer on the first page - I made a Categories page
    http://www.inmobiz.com/categories.html

when people land on that page they are bound to click on one of the titles on that page- and from there I fear they will be lost unless they can use the previous/next button

So I guess the answer to your question would be - I want them to keep track on where people have been from the time they opens up a category?
    If that is too complicated - I'd be happy for a simple solution which only does the same as every browser back button.

newchance

Member #
    Liked
    142 times
    ... so you're planning for the worst case scenario where they have no navigation? That just doesn't make sense. Yes, it's possible, in that you can have buttons that will trigger the web browser's back and forward actions on a click, but it's just useless IMHO.

Now, if you're saying that from a sub-cat, or a sub-sub-cat, you want to make sure they can go back up a level in your navigation, for example what's at the top of this thread:

You are here: Web Design Forums.net Visualizing It Starting Out This may be a stupid Q for others - but..........

then look up breadcrumb navigation
    The Rules

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Emulating them is easy, but again you have to ask yourself, why? If people get lost on your site, then you're officially a failure. Really. People should always know where they are on your site.

So yes, you could use Breadcrumbs, or you can just have another submenu when you open a page. Or pretty much anything that allows your users to know where they are in the hierarchy.

Rule of thumb: A user must be able to get from page A to page B in your website in 3 or less clicks. Try it on WDF. You can access most threads from this page in 3 clicks. Sometimes they have to go through the paging system (which isn't a common thing), which is an exception.

(Example of problem: go and find the page where they state the rules about Signature links. IMO, thats the area of worst navigation on WDF. It takes 4 clicks over unrelated links.)
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    Thanks both of you!! I think you managed to clear my head....lol
    I agree - it has to be a more logic navigation!
    I'll see if I manage to understand the breadcrumbs navigation
    Since I'm trying to learn CSS, (using a different folder so nothing uploaded yet)
    I can as well have everything done properly before confusing any more visitors

I may be back with more questions - when reading about breadcrumbs ....
    Hope you won't get tired of my (ignorant) questions
    newchance

Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steax
    (Example of problem: go and find the page where they state the rules about Signature links. IMO, thats the area of worst navigation on WDF. It takes 4 clicks over unrelated links.)
    The footer of every page has a link to the rules.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    The footer of every page has a link to the rules.
    Ok, which is more prominent: A small gray link at the bottom of the page, or the large "Help" button in the header? Besides, most people stop the moment they see "This site uses valid markup...".
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    OK - here comes the next stupid Q...
    I have been studying 'breadcrumbs' navigation,
    and it seems I have to create some .php code
    and put it in on top of my code pages??
    Is there no simpler way?

I'll continue study - but it seems I'm going round in circles.
    newchance

Member #
    Liked
    142 times
    breadcrumb navigation is just a logical pattern, doesn't have to be done one way or another. If it makes it easier for you, code the links manually.
    The Rules

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Remove Ads